• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Door stop problems

Gypsyman

After staring at my Deuce sitting in the shop for far too long I'm back at it and starting to go over her from end to end. Out of all of the usual things I expected to find I've only run across two actual issues. Slow release of the brakes (although they work perfectly) and what is shown in the photos below. Hopefully new soft lines will cure the brake issue but the door stop rod connection point on the drivers door is sheared off clean. I can't see past the window channel on the inside but I'm assuming that this part is welded on the interior of the door.

Has anyone looked inside of a completely stripped door and noticed if the stop rods connection point is in fact a welded on plate? I have a few ideas on how to make the repair but it won't look original by a long shot.

IMG_7104.JPG IMG_7103.JPG

INFChief

After staring at my Deuce sitting in the shop for far too long I'm back at it and starting to go over her from end to end. Out of all of the usual things I expected to find I've only run across two actual issues. Slow release of the brakes (although they work perfectly) and what is shown in the photos below. Hopefully new soft lines will cure the brake issue but the door stop rod connection point on the drivers door is sheared off clean. I can't see past the window channel on the inside but I'm assuming that this part is welded on the interior of the door.

Has anyone looked inside of a completely stripped door and noticed if the stop rods connection point is in fact a welded on plate? I have a few ideas on how to make the repair but it won't look original by a long shot.

View attachment 862973 View attachment 862974
You can Google the parts TM for an exploded view. I’m going by memory here, and keep in mind I retired in 1999!

I think that rod has a head on it and a rubber bumper / washer. I don’t remember any kind of spring.

Gypsyman

I have all of the TM's. The rod and rubber stop isn't the issue. I have spares and even found the original down inside of the floor vent. If you compare the first and second photo you can see that the small bracket that protrudes from inside of the door is broken off clean. There is no longer a tab to connect the stop rod to.

Gypsyman

Here's a better photo of another truck. The tab that the arrow points to is sheared off cleanly on my drivers door. Years of being thrown open and bounced off of the stop must have taken it's toll.

HPIM1832.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here's a better photo of another truck. The tab that the arrow points to is sheared off cleanly on my drivers door. Years of being thrown open and bounced off of the stop must have taken it's toll.

View attachment 862997
I could have sworn that piece just slipped into the slot in the Deuce Door.
Then the Door Check Rod connected with the cotter pin.

Gypsyman

I'll get out the mirrors and inspection camera for a closer look tomorrow. I don't see that listed as a separate part in the -24P and I see no evidence of external spot welds or rivets.

Gypsyman

Thanks cattlerepairman. I'll look this morning and try to determine if it's an item that can be replaced. I have a feeling that I'm going to be stuck trying to fabricate something.

Richard

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks cattlerepairman. I'll look this morning and try to determine if it's an item that can be replaced. I have a feeling that I'm going to be stuck trying to fabricate something.

Richard
If you decide to fabricate something, the LMTV's have a web strap that is attached to the inside of the door and the frame. Pictures below:

LMTV Door Strap 01 (Right).jpg LMTV Door Strap 02 (Left).jpg

Gypsyman

Funny you mention that. My old Jeep Wrangler uses limiting straps. I was looking at them last night. I really want to keep the truck as original as possible but if push comes to shove, straps it is.

Gypsyman

Terrible low-res photos but the connection point is definitely a welded in plate. Bummed since the door is in perfect condition and I won't be able to keep it original. Looks like I'm stuck converting to straps or swapping out the door.

Broken Check Rod Mount (2).jpg Broken Check Rod Mount (1).jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Terrible low-res photos but the connection point is definitely a welded in plate. Bummed since the door is in perfect condition and I won't be able to keep it original. Looks like I'm stuck converting to straps or swapping out the door.

View attachment 863063 View attachment 863064
Maybe somebody that has a door that is in good condition could snap a picture - and possibly you could weld in some replacement metal... Maybe?

Or maybe a replacement door if somebody happens to have one sitting around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks