• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DOT 5 fluid inspection

fpchief

I have about a gallon of DOT 5 and as you all know...the stuff isn't cheap. What I have is old and wonder if it is still good. The pic shows some risidual of what is left in my power bleeder. Is it ok...maybe run through a strainer? Or do I need to ditch it??

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rustystud

I have about a gallon of DOT 5 and as you all know...the stuff isn't cheap. What I have is old and wonder if it is still good. The pic shows some risidual of what is left in my power bleeder. Is it ok...maybe run through a strainer? Or do I need to ditch it??

I would just run it through a strainer. DOT 5 really doesn't go bad just from sitting. It will change color from Purple to Amber, but that is about all. So get that little crud out of it and use it.

fpchief

I would just run it through a strainer. DOT 5 really doesn't go bad just from sitting. It will change color from Purple to Amber, but that is about all. So get that little crud out of it and use it.
Gotcha. That is good news!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How old is it?

What is the contaminant in it?

What is a life worth?

I would purchase new, if that was in my power bleeder.

Ajax MD

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning, it absorbs moisture. In hard braking applications, the water in the fluid boils, which causes fading.

I especially distrust old brake fluid stored in plastic containers because plastic is not an oxygen barrier. I know it sucks, but I would discard it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silicone Brake fluid is not hygroscopic.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sediment can also be found in unopened containers of BFS. Folks smarter than I surmised that it's residual dye as it settles out of the BFS. It does the same in your brake system as it turns from purple to yellow/amber. Strain it and use it. Were it DOT 3 it would warrant disposal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks