• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DOT 5 not required - M931 recovery

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Went down to Papabear's today to ride in the veterans day parade and pick up my M931. Last night I rushed to load up my jeep with all the tools and materials I might need. Ended up just checking over everything and airing up the tires for the drive home.

I had to laugh a bit at myself. I've grown so accustomed to picking up deuces and older 5 tons that I for some reason threw in a bottle of DOT 5 fluid as well. fat lady sings

Anyhow, today was pretty busy so taking pictures was on the bottom of my list. (Getting down there in time, getting the truck ready, exc.) So I've included a pic of it at home now at least.

Some other things I realized...
1. The t-case lever is OPPOSITE to a M35/M543/M51. Low range is up, not down!
2. It helps tremendously to use ALL 5 gears. (Why am I only doing 40mph @ 2100rpm? Oh wait...)
3. Bob tailing a tractor gets fun at times.
4. Exhaust manifolds are hot.

All in all, pretty uneventful of a recovery (I'm not complaining). Only issues to take care of so far are:

Full servicing.
Leaky hose at the fuel selector valve.
Bumper needs a little TLC.
Rear axles need oil changes.
Transmission is a little low.

As a bonus, the toolbox was stuffed with parts! From what I recall...
5t u-joint, Multifuel oil pan gasket, Protection control box, 5t wheel bearing set, lots of seals, belts, spare innertube, and a lot more!

Now to find a nice trailer....

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It'll end up a M931A1 by next weekend. I wanted to install MVT 395's since they're rated for 68mph. But I'll probably end up with 14.00's since we have an excess of them right now.

RIDDLE1

It'll end up a M931A1 by next weekend. I wanted to install MVT 395's since they're rated for 68mph. But I'll probably end up with 14.00's since we have an excess of them right now.
Looks good man! I still have not got around to installing the 14's and combats I got from you guys.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear that you made it home safely. And yes, bob tail tractors can be a handful at times. Just be glad it wasn't wet......

goldneagle

That leaky fuel line on the tank selector may be a cracked brass elbow on the left side. That is what it was on mine. A hair line crack. You will need a special street L that OReilly's Auto parts carries. It is an exact match to the one that is on there (tight fit). I hope that helped. It was hard to find the right fitting!

chevyCUCV

Some other things I realized...
1. The t-case lever is OPPOSITE to a M35/M543/M51. Low range is up, not down!
2. It helps tremendously to use ALL 5 gears. (Why am I only doing 40mph @ 2100rpm? Oh wait...)
4. Exhaust manifolds are hot.
HAHAHAH #4 cracked me up

jw4x4

Nice truck! You should really enjoy it. I realized that the parking brake beeper drives me nuts. I haven't been able to get the parking brake light in the dash to work. I sure would rather have the light than the beep. I don't want the beep until the air is low.

DieselBob

When I got my chauffeur license in the 70's, pre CDL, you really needed to pay attention running bobtail especially when the road was wet. Tractors back then didn't have brakes on the front axles and there was no such thing as ABS. :driver:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweeet Truck!!!!!!! You keep adding and not subtracting trucks Patracy :)

Best news was an uneventful recovery combined with the Veterans Day Parade in Columbus.

HA Post 400 finally 8)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When I got my chauffeur license in the 70's, pre CDL, you really needed to pay attention running bobtail especially when the road was wet. Tractors back then didn't have brakes on the front axles and there was no such thing as ABS. :driver:
While the 931 has ABS, it's not a functional ABS system...

Also the Allison trans needs a good servicing. Downshifting can be jerky at times.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine came filled with dexron out of Ft. Polk. It does not shift up or down harshly at all. I drove it in a parade Sat mostly in 1st and had no problems at all since it was a slow parade. 60 mile trip on interstate on 5th each way to parade with no harsh shift points. Almost felt like an old Cadillac.

I know it has been beat to death on other threads but dexron has tranny additives and 10w is plain ole oil with no additive package. I would drain, change filters and I suspect you will see a marked difference.

Good Luck!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I did spend a little time with it this afternoon. ABS light is out. There were two connectors unplugged under the dash? Dunno why, but they led to the LED indicator. Also the burnt out alternator is removed. Had my wife drop it off at my friends shop to see if he can get parts.

budman67

Is this a MF engine,you said it had a MF oil pan gasket?
There is a M931A1 on super singles near me for sale,
but it has a cummins, I would prefer a MF.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
M939 trucks came with NHC-250's or 8.3 cummins engines. It was just a case of parts that someone had stashed away. (There was also a 5 ton master cyl from a 809 series truck)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks