• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DOT numbers on 5 tons?

So I'm sure somebody has talked about this but I have a helluva time searching on Tapatalk. Does anybody here that actually uses their 5 tons have dot numbers on them? Short of one's running a commercial business with one? I have a neighbor trying to stir up some trouble over me owning my m925 and having Farm plates on it. I do farm and use it for farming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
None of my customers here in Tennessee do when they drive the 931s to job sites towing or bobtailed. Few of the delivery trucks do but i know they arent required to run log books within 150miles of home. I dont have my DOT number stenciled on mine but that is just me.

But let's not get me started on the Michigan bubble machines. He stopped me cause "he didn't know who I was "

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Welcome to Michigan. There used to be a separate dot officer. Now it's tied into the MSP. The laws are a nightmare to figure where the lines are for use. I feel like I'm trapped in a grey area. Nobody around here really runs one.

snowtrac nome

I cant quote your state laws. generally non commercial vehicles are exempt per federal statute. I know of some farm states that farm plates exempt you from dot numbers inspections and logbooks, but not scales. In the state of ak you will buy commercial plates for a private truck, their way of collecting tax, but you do not have to go through any dot inspections, get numbers or keep logs, or stop at scales. also some states might require private carrier on the side of the truck in lew of dot numbers. my best advice contact your local cmv enforcement officer.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run Farm plates on several of my trucks. No DOT numbers required in KY for Farm registrations. Your truck in the photo looks like a Farm truck to me, full of farm kids.... MI is a lot stricter.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
So I'm sure somebody has talked about this but I have a helluva time searching on Tapatalk. Does anybody here that actually uses their 5 tons have dot numbers on them? Short of one's running a commercial business with one? I have a neighbor trying to stir up some trouble over me owning my m925 and having Farm plates on it. I do farm and use it for farming.

This is because STEEL SOLDIERS is a INTERNET site that is designed to be accessed from a computer with some access from phones, it is NOT a phone app with some access from the computer. try going on the internet and searching from a computer , you will find it is a lot easier.

MCSFBN

Farmers in Texas don't fall under the regs until 48000lbs or more or other criteria which usually involved placardable amounts of HM, etc. and then the regs are WAY fewer than the exceptions, especially exceptions for the farmers. Believe me it gets confusing. I've been a cop 15 years now, I'm in a different gig now but 14 years I was a road Trooper and 8 of those I was in Commercial Vehicle Enforcement. Another thing to keep in mind is the Feds have changes and updates to the regs on a quarterly basis and at least in Texas we would have changes made yearly adopting regs through the Texas Admin Code and in some case further into the Transportation Code. My point is there are many places to get info and once you think you have it all you may discover you only have some. You can always call what we referred to here in TX as the Motor Carrier Bereau which was our CVE service HQ for the Highway Patrol.

EO2NMCB

They don't need them in Egypt either, that said ever one is stating what is required for their state. Call your commercial division at the DMV and ask them. They the (DOT) will be the ones enforcing it on the side of the road.

That's kinda why I asked here. I thought I had everything I needed. Like I said though nobody has one of these in my area so I don't think they no how to handle them. The sos lady looked at me funny when I went to plate it.

snowtrac nome

trust me your commercial vehicle enforcement officer will know exactly how to handle it, his criteria has to do with vehicle weight size equipment and if hazmat is involved. Don't be afraid of them they work for compliance and safety, they are not about writing tickets even if a random stop sometimes involves a little time on our part. Also Unlike most law enforcement officers they will give you an answer you can bank on.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
None of my customers here in Tennessee do when they drive the 931s to job sites towing or bobtailed. Few of the delivery trucks do but i know they arent required to run log books within 150miles of home. I dont have my DOT number stenciled on mine but that is just me.

But let's not get me started on the Michigan bubble machines. He stopped me cause "he didn't know who I was "

If your in the trucking business it your job to know the laws of the states your running in . If got off without a stack of tickets here in michigan your D** lucky . No DOT numbers or DOT reflective tape will get you pulled over every time here . Commercial pick-ups with trailers even require DOT numbers.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If your in the trucking business it your job to know the laws of the states your running in . If got off without a stack of tickets here in michigan your D** lucky . No DOT numbers or DOT reflective tape will get you pulled over every time here . Commercial pick-ups with trailers even require DOT numbers.
His opening statement of "i pulled you over cause you arent wearing military fatigues or a helmet, so i want to know who you are " was all I needed to hear to tell him here is my license, registration and insurance am i free to go? He asked to search the truck for weapons or drugs i said yes then as he walked towards the truck i said No you can't search my truck. I was on my own time. I used to work in corrections and was an LEO. I hate supercops. He pulled someone over within a minute of letting me leave. I made a few phone calls on his observation of the drivers attire as a reason to stop someone.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
On another note of military trucks or anything being used by civilians. I was involved in a trial here in memphis last month about military trucks or equipment or anything military being outdoors at your residence. Judges order says that "No trucks, equipment,generators, trailers, surplus tools, or other things used previously by the military can be used by civilians for personal use" lets just say we will see where that goes in the long run.

MCSFBN

Simp I would've made the same kinds of phone calls. Sounds like he's case law waiting to happen. That said I digress because I could really rant about those that make the job difficult for the next Officer that comes into contact with that citizen that has the bad taste still burning them up. Again back to the topic for OP, I again suggest as I did earlier....seek out the Commercial Vehicle authorities. Most that I know through professional contacts when I did it will accomadate your questions. Because as someone else said earlier safety and compliance are the end goal. Good luck and let us know what happens. I am interested for sure. :driver:

BEASTMASTER

heh heh I used to take my 5 ton to work a couple days a week , and one afternoon , I just left work ,and there's all kinds off blinking lights in my mirror. it was the chief of police on his way home. he just wanted to make sure I didn't steal the truck from the armory. I asked him when they started using license plates???

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
His opening statement of "i pulled you over cause you arent wearing military fatigues or a helmet, so i want to know who you are " was all I needed to hear to tell him here is my license, registration and insurance am i free to go? He asked to search the truck for weapons or drugs i said yes then as he walked towards the truck i said No you can't search my truck. I was on my own time. I used to work in corrections and was an LEO. I hate supercops. He pulled someone over within a minute of letting me leave. I made a few phone calls on his observation of the drivers attire as a reason to stop someone.

Anything over 10,000 lbs is considered commercial in michigan the MPSC don't need a reason to stop you to check your paper work they have more authority than the state police.

MCSFBN

Same thing here in TX Porkys, we stopped CMVs or what we believed met the weight requirements without PC all the time. It's considered an administrative stop. However stopping someone based on what they are or aren't wearing is a no go for LEOs, so at a minimum he should've kept his reason for stop to himself and conducted CMV enforcement business until he could develop from reasonable suspicion some probable cause. I suspect after not having this and simp recanting his consent that is why he let him go and went down the road without incident. I don't want to hijack OPs thread so I am here just reading after this. No hard feelings intended towards anyone. I just don't like guys that are so hung ho and really do the job incorrectly. I am maybe a strange one in the profession that truly believes in protecting the rights privileges and property of the citizens. Plus it's all my whole family has ever done so I'm kinda biased. LOL

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Same thing here in TX Porkys, we stopped CMVs or what we believed met the weight requirements without PC all the time. It's considered an administrative stop. However stopping someone based on what they are or aren't wearing is a no go for LEOs, so at a minimum he should've kept his reason for stop to himself and conducted CMV enforcement business until he could develop from reasonable suspicion some probable cause. I suspect after not having this and simp recanting his consent that is why he let him go and went down the road without incident. I don't want to hijack OPs thread so I am here just reading after this. No hard feelings intended towards anyone. I just don't like guys that are so hung ho and really do the job incorrectly. I am maybe a strange one in the profession that truly believes in protecting the rights privileges and property of the citizens. Plus it's all my whole family has ever done so I'm kinda biased. LOL
I actually had Texas DPS stop me near Ft. Hood cause I turned off the main highway and headed west rather than towards the base. He stopped me to let me know I was going the wrong way that the base was north. I said I am headed somewhere else sir. He was like oh okay just didn't want you to get lost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks