• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dot4 Brake Fluid ?

dads6x6

Im new to the deuce game, i have owned mine now about 4 months. The previous owner was a diesel mechanic and was good at alot of things. One question I have is he used regular dot 3 in the brake system rather than military DOT4. How big a deal is that? I hope i don't have to drain and flush it all, can I start adding DOT 4 or what should I do?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

jbayer

Im new to the deuce game, i have owned mine now about 4 months. The previous owner was a diesel mechanic and was good at alot of things. One question I have is he used regular dot 3 in the brake system rather than military DOT4. How big a deal is that? I hope i don't have to drain and flush it all, can I start adding DOT 4 or what should I do?

Thanks
Military didn't use DOT 4. They used DOT 5. DOT 3/ DOT 4 are compatible with each other, neither with DOT 5.

First, you need to learn how to identify DOT 5 from the others. Use the search. It's a water solubility test.

Pull samples from all bleeders, into separate labeled bottles. Test. (plus open MC and check fluid, use a Turkey baster) If all are the same, I would probably stick with that type fluid and monitor.

If different types from different bleeders plan on complete brake system disassembly, clean and flush.

Eliteweapons

As said before it it DOT 5 silicone fluid. Don't mix the different types of type 5 either. "This fluid must only ever be mixed with DOT 5 fluid which has the same silicone base. Never mix DOT 5 with regular glycol based fluids." If you do you will get Jello in your brake system.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military didn't use DOT 4. They used DOT 5. DOT 3/ DOT 4 are compatible with each other, neither with DOT 5.

First, you need to learn how to identify DOT 5 from the others. Use the search. It's a water solubility test.

Pull samples from all bleeders, into separate labeled bottles. Test. (plus open MC and check fluid, use a Turkey baster) If all are the same, I would probably stick with that type fluid and monitor.

If different types from different bleeders plan on complete brake system disassembly, clean and flush.
Here you go.
[h=1]Brake fluid -how to tell which kind you have DOT 3 or DOT 5[/h]This thread will go hand in hand with the brake fluid issue.
[h=1]Deuce Power Bleeder R4x4 Style[/h]

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many people run DOT 3 and the military used to as well. The disadvantage is that DOT 3 retains moisture over time. This means regular brake fluid changes. Every two years, ideally. DOT 5 and water do not mix. Moisture can be removed by simply bleeding the brakes every year or couple of years to get fresh fluid to the wheel cylinders. A full brake fluid change on DOT 5 is not really required.

DOT 3 is also cheaper. If you set your truck up with a remote brake fluid reservoir and a pressure port for a power bleeder, a one person brake "flush" is a straightforward task that goes quickly.

jbayer

Many people run DOT 3 and the military used to as well. The disadvantage is that DOT 3 retains moisture over time. This means regular brake fluid changes. Every two years, ideally. DOT 5 and water do not mix. Moisture can be removed by simply bleeding the brakes every year or couple of years to get fresh fluid to the wheel cylinders. A full brake fluid change on DOT 5 is not really required.

DOT 3 is also cheaper. If you set your truck up with a remote brake fluid reservoir and a pressure port for a power bleeder, a one person brake "flush" is a straightforward task that goes quickly.
Not wanting to argue, but it's not so simple as just pushing out one fluid with the other. You'll never get all of one fluid out by trying to push it out with another.

As cucvrus says though "do as you wish"

dmetalmiki

We changed all our trucks from dot5 silly cone!..to dot4 and it was as easy and straight forward as cattleman described. 12 years on we have no brake problems. (from fluid jellying or anything else.) And we use (the old way), a bottle a pipe and two people. Simple. My 1/2 penne'th.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not wanting to argue, but it's not so simple as just pushing out one fluid with the other. You'll never get all of one fluid out by trying to push it out with another.

As cucvrus says though "do as you wish"
Thanks for this - I guess I was not precise enough. I was only comparing the two fluids, not describing a changeover. To change from DOT 3 to 5, people with much more expertise than I have did recommend an alcohol flush in between.