• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Double Deuce crew cab

EnteJager

I am planning on leaving the frame the full length, one axel and a M105 bed. Proably will go with 15.5 XL Michelins, PS kit. I have a plasma cutter, and bought a new sheet metal brake and roller for this project, something I have needed for awhile. I will get some more pics up tonight

Nothing like having the need for a few new toys, I mean tools.:-D

Looking fwd to seeing the progress.

DJD

davesgmc

i didn't use a brake or a roller, found no use for one actually. i actually built mine in the street next to my house and in my driveway, no forklift, no hoist, just man (boy) power, hammer, torch, lots of cut off wheels, etc.

ccequipment

I have been there myself many times. But now that I am doing this full time I can justify some tools like this. Its different when you are just building one or two trucks, its not worth the expense. But when you work on these things for a living and have employees working for you time is money, and anything that will save you some time and money will pay for itself in the long run. I have turned out over 60 M35's in the last year, and about 12 of those have been custom builds. Plus I have many other projects I can use these tools on, I just wish I had them a long time ago, they make things so much easier. I have found out having the right tools make the job go alot better and quicker, but you can still do just fine with the basic tools, just may take longer.

davesgmc

major part of the build took me about 12 man hours, cosmetic body work about 10 hours. prep and paint complete truck about 6 hours.

a slip roll would be nice, i need to make a new muffler for the ferret soon and I am not sure I can find a thin wall tube large enough to make it from, so making my own would be useful.

performanceauto89

Crew cab? I have talked it over with a few buddies, trying to decide between a crew cab or a 6x6 with 6 doors? I would like to know what some of you members here think of such a project. Metal fab is one of my specialties, got to love it. But let me know what you think. I will be starting with a 57 Utica Bend M35 with the gas engine. I just picked her up at a sale last week. Don't really know a whole lot about it except it need a pair of batteries and some gas and she lit off. I drove the thing home. My resident to the north really hates me now!! I'm a mechanic by trade and can build you just about anything out of metal also, so I don't really have to "pay" anyone to do the work, just the occasional case of beer for the "extra hands"
I'm leaning towards the 6 doors.
Give me some votes and yeah you can say I'm nuts! But I think it would be a real fun project.

davesgmc

we just took our 5 ton 4 door to sonic tonight for ice cream. wasnt sure i was gonna make the turn with that big old long truck, but it went around just fine. and yeah, all the people came running out and wanted to look and take pictures,,,,still didnt get ice cream free :cry:

tm america

never try to justify buying more tools or making a truck bigger .anyone you'd have to explain it to will never get it .as for four or six doors go with six keep the stock frame and keep it 6x6.if you cant handle a big truck you should just get a jeep put some 33s on it and tell all your friends its a jeep thing:roll:

dentman

never try to justify buying more tools or making a truck bigger .anyone you'd have to explain it to will never get it .as for four or six doors go with six keep the stock frame and keep it 6x6.if you cant handle a big truck you should just get a jeep put some 33s on it and tell all your friends its a jeep thing:roll:

now THATS funny!!!

airmech3839

This thread cracks me up!! Lets see all the pics of the "plans" for this 6 door burban duece!!! Well whether 4 or 6 doors it will be cool for sure! Anything extra is cake and makes all the boys jealous!! The guy who buys the big tools for his project just made all the guys who did it without them jealous that they didn't buy the tools! Just making do for the most part sucks!! Nothing better than working with the right tools! 1 hour with project kicking my but trying to make something work or right tool 10 min. and done!! No back braking!!! More time to play with finished product and makes mechanic very happy!!

ccequipment

Got some good donor doors from another truck, took awhile to get them lined up good. I got the rear cab squared up and welded to the front one. Got all the floor board patches welded in and interior side panel between the doors done. Got the tunnel bent, just need to trim it up and weld in, and the inside will be about done. Plans are to finsh up the outside sheetmetal and start on the hardtop tommorow. I ordered a A/C kit also for it today. Thats it for now

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks