• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

double reduction for a Deuce

supermechanic

Browning (a part of dana/spicer now, I believe) made auxillary transmissions for OTR trucks.
the brownie needs to go between the main box and the transfer if you want to keep all wheel drive.
I think you will have problems getting something to fit without extensive modifications.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, there is another alternative but it comes at a price. I don't know how much slower you want to go but the gasser 5 speed from a deuce has a much lower first gear. You will give up overdrive to get it and that means top speed.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why would anyone be ignorant enough to say put it in backwards(no offense to your friend, maybe they are hard to find)? There are many brownie boxes out there. If I were going to try it, I would find one of the ones that has the underdrive AND overdrive gears in it.

standardaero

when i pull houseboats off the ramp the initial pull at the start has a tendency to jerk a little and boats that weigh between 20 and 60 thousand pounds generally slip back from 1 to 3 feet on the trailer when they arent under their own power, thus if i could go slower up the ramp then it would not slip as bad. When im at work we tow as big as a 727 boeing with a tug that is geared at 1200 to 1 and airplanes are heavy thus no slippage and they go really ssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
standardaero said:
when i pull houseboats off the ramp the initial pull at the start has a tendency to jerk a little and boats that weigh between 20 and 60 thousand pounds generally slip back from 1 to 3 feet on the trailer when they arent under their own power, thus if i could go slower up the ramp then it would not slip as bad. When im at work we tow as big as a 727 boeing with a tug that is geared at 1200 to 1 and airplanes are heavy thus no slippage and they go really ssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww.
Gotta pic? That would be cool to see!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could put it behind the t-case on a air shift truck. You would just have to remember to have it in direct gear before you engaged the front axle.

The easiest way to get a lower first gear and have 6 wheel drive is probally going to be changing the trans.

jasonjc

The aircraft tugs are on GL all the time, get one of those. They also have alot of extar wight on them for better traction.

ygmir

do you need a lot of ground clearance? Maybe you could put smaller diameter tires/rims on it?...........
Just a random thought...........

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting use for a Deuce!
That looks to be a M35A2 with its stock multifuel and od. tranny?
Like Kenny said, the tranny of the gasser deuces has a much lower 1st, so if you don't care about max. 45mph... try to get a 3052, its 7.55:1 vs. 5.01:1 of your actual #3053. That's not half the speed but still a considerable difference: e.g. 10mph would come down to just 6.6mph!
Maybe it helps.

G.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just a thougt but it has a winch can you put in a post or pull link in the pavement and winch them up them drive them away? Does that bed dump or is the head ache rack built for another purpose?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's pretty cool, thet are BIG boats, almost ships! Very cool pics.

rizzo

I like seeing a deuce put to work.

swapping the trans is the cheapest alternative that I can think of.(other than ridding the clutch)

a more expensive alternative would be to put in a different t-case with lower gears. like a SCS or Profab

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool pics.

Run the winch out to a tree and use a padded strap to prevent damage to the tree. But then you need to two people to run everything safely.

steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks