• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Down side to putting a 6.5 turbo in my 1009?

Cleptomaniac

For all you CUCV wizards out there. I found a 6.5l that is almost completely rebuilt and was thinking about putting it in my 1009. What's the down side? This one is a mec IP.

Danny

Monty

The injection pump is computer controlled.

A friend of mine has a 6.5 sitting on a stand that he got for the injection pump for his current truck, I was researching how to put a 6.2 mechanical injection pump on it and swap that into my CUCV.

Last edited:

Cleptomaniac

I have been wanting a new exhaust and a turbo. Was looking at a Banks kit 2k ish. This motor is 1k and he said the heads still need done. It is from a friend of mine. I think I can do it for close to what it costs to do a Banks kit.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I bought an entire turbo'ed engine for $600 with a fuel pump and downpipe. Turned around and sold the Alternators off it for $100 (it was a CUCV engine) and the engine for $450. So I put about $100 into an exhaust system in mine.

Don't fall into the Banks marketing. You're not going to see any more power with his setup than the stock one. Unless you want to run the boost up to an unsafe level...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to move the battery trays. The 6.5L turbo and downpipe take up some room. Make sure you change out the glowplugs before you install the motor. It is a bear getting to the RH plugs.

With the mechanical pump on that engine, there is no need for the computer controller.

From my resent GL purchases, I have two sets of new 6.5L heads, 4 sets of new 6.5L Bosch injectors and 5 new gear reduction starters. I'm set for awhile....:p

Last edited:

Monty

Misread, I see you said that the 6.5 was mechanical injected, otherwise you'd need to swap out injection pumps. The computer controlled 6.5's need the computer to run the injection pump pulse width, advace and as a govener.

The 6.5 is a good engine for what it was designed, not as easy to upgrade for more HP.

You could also look at selling the 6.5 and swapping in a cummins if your looking for alot of power.

There are a few people on here who have done the swap.

67_C-30

Absolutely no down side. The power difference is like night and day, the fuel mileage is about the same (unless your WOT to hear the turbo all the time!), and putting the turbo on quietens the engine significantly. I have ebgine with both the Banks and 6.5 turbos, and the 6.5 makes more low end power and has lag due to being wastegated. With a free flowing air filter and low restriction exhaust, the 6.5 sounds better as well. It has more turbo whistle, which I love.

Cleptomaniac

I do love turbo whistle!! I don't want to drag race I just want to be able to run down the highway with the A/C on!!
Guess I'll start the ball rolling on this project. Won't be quick but...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks