• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Downgrades in a Deuce

Reaper651

Hey all,
Ok, so I found a bunch of threads about on road downgrades in a Deuce, what gears to use going down hill and about using the brakes without cooking them on steep on road hills. However, I haven't found anything about maneuvering a Deuce safely down steep OFF road hills. And I have also read in the Tm's about maximum approach and departure angle but there is no real maximum off road grade angles. I do realize that the terrain type of the hill would make a huge difference too. My questions are: what's the steepest OFF road hill you have taken your Deuce down? How does it normally handle the descent of a steep off road hill? I imagine the rear tires want to slide but are there any other quirks and or tricks to descending a steep off road hill safely? The brakes work quite well on my truck and I imagine I would be able to lock all ten tires up on the steepest off road downgrade but I would like some advice from those of you that have really run some technical off road stuff with your trucks.

Thanks in advance.

phil2968

I have had mine slide all 8 going down a hill at the SSGR. Let off the brake and steer! You'll get to the bottom one way or another. Best to be on your tires when you get there.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the eight he is talking about are the rears on a dual rear tire truck.

I have gone down some really steep wind-blown sand dunes, the down-wind side. Never measured but probably 45 degrees. Always straight down. Always with the front axle engaged, T-case in low, and usually in first gear, some in second. Little to no use of the brakes because it will want to get sideways when the wheels stop turning. Did I mention to always go straight down? Even with the wheels turning, the tires are sliding but turning enough to maintain steering control.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I usually use first or second gear in low range depending on how I judge traction. Bumpy terrain I'll usually go in low, smooth terrain I'd go second.

Its like anything else, choosing the right gear/path takes practice, get out there and drive it!

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't let the momentum make your engine over-rev and throw a rod; do like trains do and start over the crest with minimal speed; drop the air pressure in the tires for better traction (20 to 25 psi); like they said, keep the steering straight; don't go down at an angle to the grade which will contribute to rolling the truck on its side; make sure there ain't nobody in front of you including at least 100 feet at the level at the bottom. If it's way too steep to control and you have no other choice, you could winch down with the proper, safe rigging.

Flyingvan911

I'll use first or second low. If in doubt, use first. Going slow is fine, going too fast is not. First is so slow and controlled. I use the throttle almost exclusively to control speed.

gimpyrobb

If you don't test your gear, you never truly know what its capable of.

In that instance, I tested my gear and Stretch's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaper651

Would a little weight in the bed between the two rear axles help give the rear tires a bit more stopping power on a hill? I am going to make myself a weight out of some trench plate that will bolt to the bed to make it ride a bit smoother in the rear, so it should help with traction. I was thinking about a 600 to 750 pound weight. I know how much 300 pounds helps my 1 ton dually pickup. The downgrade that I'm unsure of is a lookout that has a trail that goes around the mountain to get there or you can just go up the side of it. The path around the mountain is barely wide enough for the deuce, but it should fit fine. I have seen 4x4 pickups and jeeps go up and down the side of the hill without problems but the trail up the side of the mountain basically tees at the trail that goes around. (If that makes any sense:cookoo:) Long story short, if you go down the side of the hill, you must make a sharp left or you will go off a cliff. No runaway room if something goes wrong. The dirt the mountain is made of provides great traction so I have confidence in the Deuce making it safely. But I think I will play on some hills that have some runoff area before I attempt this one. Where my truck is parked has a great spot to try some hill climbing. About 40 feet in elevation change and about 300 feet wide and starts off at one side very mild and progressively gets steeper until its basically vertical. And there is plenty of room to slide without dying. It is some very interesting terrain out there. I will Probably post some pics once I do a bit of climbing with the truck.

Thanks for the help everyone.

P.S. GimpyRob, how much damage did your truck sustain when you parked it on its side?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long story short, if you go down the side of the hill, you must make a sharp left or you will go off a cliff. No runaway room if something goes wrong.
I'd do that. It is so bomb technician style. None of the "if at first you do not succeed, try again" wimpy stuff. My life insurance is all paid up, though.

barefootin

I have a very steep hill in my yard that by using 1st Low and the front locked in, is easily negotiated without brakes. If it starts letting loose you apply a little throttle and steer it out. 2nd gear low is way too fast for the hill.. Out of the 3 garden and compact tractors we have only one will climb it to mow. It requires chained wheels, 300lb of wheel and counter weights, as well as someone sitting on the hood if you want to steer. Let's put it this way, even the steering on the Deuce gets light prior to cresting the top....

gimpyrobb

P.S. GimpyRob, how much damage did your truck sustain when you parked it on its side?
The pass side fender has a minor wave in it, the dropside bed side had to be replaced, and the exhaust hangers needed adjustment with a hammer to be straightened out. Thats about it.