• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Draft Pads

GUNNY 155

I know I am going to take a beating on this one but in the spirt of sharing helpful information with my fellow HMV restoration brothers here goes. How many sets of draft pads have you ruined trying to get them over the clutch and brake pedals. Or have you just given up and let the wind, dust and oil fumes blow into your cab. I ruined 6 trying to get them on. I tried heating them in hot water, cutting them and gluing them with trim adheasive, soaking them in various fluids to sofen them, all failed. Now here is where the beating starts, dont ask why or how I thought of it I guess I was out of other ideas. Coat the pad and pedal with KY lubricant and they slide right on, rinse with warm water and your done. Okay, open fire.

:tank:

vtdeucedriver

Got mine on with the first try!! I have a method. I really got to get it on film for John Bizal to put on his site, just have not had time

o1951

Coat the pad and pedal with KY lubricant and they slide right on, rinse with warm water and your done.
For 25 years or so, I have been doing it a bit different - works a treat.:popcorn:

Coat the pad and pedal with KY lubricant and it slides right in, rinse with warm water when you're done.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Storm,

You made me laugh so hard I thought I was going to have a stroke.

Gunny,

I got my draft pads on in the first try. Chemicals are your friend to soften them enough and install them.

Bert

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad you got a laugh, Bert! I sissied out and changed it before I got in trouble. :-D

It was too tempting of a straight line to pass up.

That's why I'm always in trouble..... :(

Storm 51

M-37Bruce

I've ripped three separate pads & gave up! Now I gotta find/buy some KY & do it tomorrow after work, this is exciting....... :mrgreen:

BTW, Thanks Gunny!

Last edited:

o1951

Storm, I got your original message before you modified it. I doubt you would have gotten into trouble. The state of Kentucky is a great state with a Lot to offer. Stay away from cities, lotsa land to park & run MV's, no ordinances forbiding parking.

I'm glad you got a laugh, Bert! I sissied out and changed it before I got in trouble. :-D

It was too tempting of a straight line to pass up.

That's why I'm always in trouble..... :(

Storm 51

M-37Bruce

Well last night after dinner I asked my wife & son if we had any ky jelly? I thought my son was going to fall off the chair, my wife looked like she was going to burst! After tings calmed down a little, I explained myself, I'm getting old, so I figure I can get away w/it! :confused:
Well after work today, I stopped off at the cvs, instead of going for the Kentucky jelly, I bought the store brand, less than 1/2 the cost, glad I did, it worked like a charm!!
BTW, My son thinks I cheap just because bought the store brand, I'm just thrifty!

AN/GRC-46

I didn't have any KY jelly so I tried some grape jelly we had in the cupboard. It just made a big mess. Seriously, soaking the pads in hot water for several minutes followed by silicone spray lube on the pedal and pad made easy work of the installation. I just couldn't get the pads to stay in place on the floor.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
O.K., I'm sorry to resurrect this thread again, but, even using the KY Jelly, I could not get those draft pads on.

Do I need to heat them first, or is there something else I need to do to get them to stretch over the pedals (my wife and son get a good laugh out of me going out to the garage to "play with KY and my truck"; my daughter just gets really embarrassed). :p

I'm not having much luck with this process, but I am providing a dependable source of household humor. :oops:

So, any additional help or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Storm 51

M-37Bruce

I used a wooden wedge that didn't have a sharp edge (similar to a door stop) it persuaded the lip of the draft pad..... it just slid over the head of the..... pedal! fat lady sings

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Bruce!

Did you heat it up at all? I imagine I can find half of an old wooden clothes pin to use as a wedge.

Off to find a suitable wedge...........

Storm 51

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I got mine on, but they are torn a bit (not completely, but about half way). They will work for now, and when I'm feeling ambitious, or need something to add to an order from MWM, I'll get another set and try again. I think that if I would have heated them a bit first to make them a little more plastic, that they would have gone on fine. I now have a better idea of what I'm doing, so hopefully my efforts next time will be a little more successful.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Storm 51

M-37Bruce

I have a few extra already, you should do the same, they aren't going to get any cheaper. Stored properley they should last a long time.

vtdeucedriver

I do have a trick that works for me and thought it was not KY, but similar. I have a prior trick that is just as important. Now I ran out of time last yr but John Bizal sent me some NOS and Repro Draft pads as a test. I told him that I would do a "How To" video for his web site as this pretty much has been the #1 problem with owning a M-37. I did mine with NOS ones years ago and they are still on there fine. The reproduction ones are a tad stiffer but should still be ok for my install.
In a couple of weeks, I am setting up a M1950 Hex tent as a back drop for my "in the field" video. I am sure that I will not win any awards at the box office but if it helps take away the frustration from a few fellow M-37 owners, that is enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks