• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drag link adjustment

Larry S.

I tried a search not much came up. I removed, disassembled and cleaned the drag link on my deuce yesterday. How tight should I make the adjusters?? Just touching or should it compress the spring slightly. There was a good bit of play in the joints and nothing looked excessively worn.

rustystud

I tried a search not much came up. I removed, disassembled and cleaned the drag link on my deuce yesterday. How tight should I make the adjusters?? Just touching or should it compress the spring slightly. There was a good bit of play in the joints and nothing looked excessively worn.
There is a torque spec in the TM for this. The spring will be almost totally compressed but I'm not sure of the specs. I did a write up on this years ago but I cannot remember now.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the slop in your drag link did you notice slop in your steering? I've pulled mine and found some wear in the aft ball connection.

Larry S.

With the slop in your drag link did you notice slop in your steering? I've pulled mine and found some wear in the aft ball connection.
Mine was worn or out of adjustment to the point that the springs were not compressed at all. An old mechanic I know said the springs should be compressed until the metal stubs inside of them touch and the backed of until you can get the cotter pin in. He said that was how they adjusted them on the old Mack's he worked on.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An old mechanic I know said the springs should be compressed until the metal stubs inside of them touch and the backed of until you can get the cotter pin in. He said that was how they adjusted them on the old Mack's he worked on.
He is correct. And that's how the TM tells you to proceed: tighten, then back off a bit (maximum 1/2 turn) until the pin fits through.
Of course that only applies to new- or fairly new ball studs with no obvious wear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks