• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dragging a Halftrack halfway across the country

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been occupied the last few days transporting a Halftrack 1600 miles.

It started off innocuously enough - loading was easy. In fact , it was so much fun we did it twice. The first time we loaded it forwards, and the weight distribution was suboptimal so we unloaded it and turned it around.

I drove 300 or so miles and stopped. Checked the trailer hubs and nothing was hot.

Took off the next day and got about an hour into the drive and saw the hubcap pop off my trailer. I immediately stopped on the shoulder and the bearing was hot. I waited til it cooled and then limped 5mph down the shoulder to the next exit.

I consulted GPS which indicated a heavy truck repair facility 6 miles away, down back roads. I decided I could limp it that far at 10mph, with frequent stops to cool it.

Upon arrival, the repair facility was a figment of GPS's imagination. There was no such place. I'm in the middle of nowhere....

So i got on the Web and found a place and called to make sure it really existed. 12 miles away, and I'm facing the wrong way on a narrow road.

I gave GPS another shot at me, finding a place to turn around that didn't involve backing or a tight turn. GPS got me again. The selected turn around didn't exist, and the road dead ended. As soon as I tried backing, the lateral force finished off the bearing and I lost the wheels....

Ok, time to chain up the front trailer axle, and limp along. No go. I really needed multiple jacks. I conceded defeat and called for roadside assistance.

They sent a truck and air tools. We chained up the front axle and limped it the 12 miles to the repair place. The rear axle was severely overloaded and it was evident even at 20mph. The suspension bottomed and damaged 2 rear tires. We stopped again just a couple of miles into it and blocked the suspension to limit travel.

I spent the weekend in a motel. The halftrack and my trailer spent the weekend in the shop bay. Parts arrived Monday and the work was finished about 8pm. I had them put new bearings on both sides of the front axle, replaced all the brake hardware while we were in there, and inspected the rear to make sure there wasn't any impending doom back there. Two new 14 ply tires and it was done.

I departed Tuesday morning, and finished the trip uneventfully. The bearings are all evenly warm, and only mildly warm to the touch.

We unloaded today and the halftrack is safely ensconced in its new indoor living habitat. It's in good company - look what we used to pull the halftrack off the gooseneck....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bigger trailer with more deck space to fill, more axles to wear out and more tires to destroy. What's not to like?

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking back, today's crisis is yesterday's adventure :D Time turns pucker factors into campfire stories.

BTW, your truck looks bigger than the halftrack in your photos!

Had the same thing happen to the US Navy flatbed trailer I used to haul tires to the GA Rally in Oct. It made the 600 miles loaded down with no problem, but blew a seal sometime in the journey and threw out all the grease. After the rally, continued with a light load to NC/VA/TN/GA for another 900 miles. Loaded a small riding lawn mower at my Brother-in-Law's place in Jasper GA and noticed a wheel wobble about 10 miles later. Stopped and pulled the wheel and there were no bearings left and the spindle was gouged. Limped back to his place on 3 wheels and ordered 2 new axles with brakes and springs (had wanted to upgrade from 3500# to 5200# axles anyway). Got new bolts and equalizers at Tractor Supply and spent a day to swap both axles.

Earlier in the trip, the right rear tire blew on the USAF flight line van on the interstate south of Knoxville. No problem, just change the tire right? Wrong, when the tire blew, it ripped a slice in the coolant hose that goes to the box heater behind the tire. I changed the tire, added 1 gallon of coolant and limped 2 miles to the next exit that the GPS said had a 24-hr mechanic. Well, that shop was closed several years ago. I offloaded my motorcycle and rode 5 miles to an Autozone for some heater hose and antifreeze. Motorcycles make great scout vehicles! Took me about 3 hours to get back on the road from the time the tire blew.

Left my BILs place with the repaired trailer, got 20 miles down the road and the other rear van tire blew. The tires looked good, but upon further inspection, were actually about 12 years old and came off a CUCV I had just bought. Fortunately, I had two spares for the van, and this delay was only about 15 min. on the interstate shoulder, but 2 hours waiting in a Firestone store in Canton GA waiting for a new tire to be mounted for a spare. I had my fingers crossed for the next 500 miles to get home.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I swear you have the luck of CARNAC following you. I have felt your pain several times before. Bummer about selling that trailer.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truly, the Murphy's Law Grand Tour. Glad that you survived it and made it to your destination.

Tell you what, once you put 2 more new hubs on that trailer and a bunch more new tires, I'll take the piece of crap off of your hands for you for, oh, say $500. :lol:

You know that trailer's possessed; I've seen it literally throw you off of it.

Glad you made it there & back again OK, hope you two have a wonderful Christmas!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The halftrack is about as inconspicuous as a nudist at a taylors' convention and drew attention wherever I went with it. Lots of pictures were taken.

It really wasn't a bad trip. The bearing failure didn't kill anyone, and didn't damage anything but my stuff. It could have been *so* much worse.

I only drove during daylight hours. This way I can keep an eye on the retention chains and the rear axles. I saw the hubcap pop off. If this had been at night, the first indication would have been when it woukd have siezed at highway speed and the outcome could have been way different.

Redtruck was really working. Much of even the easy inclines and varied terrain were done in 5th gear at 55mph and 2000rpm. 1500rpm in 6th is 58mph, so to get the rpm to the sweet spot in 6th requires just over 60mph. The sweet spot for road speed everywhere except I 40 was 55mph so I was gear hunting... I 40 was smooth enough to cruise at 65mph. Usually braking would be the issue to be concerned about. I didn't have any problems there. The exhaust brake and manual transmission really made the difference. There's an 18 mile downhill stretch on I 17 that's steep for the entire way. I started it in 5th at 50mph and held it there for the entire downhill stretch.

There's a 7mIle uphill stretch on I 17 where I was in 4th gear with my foot on the floor the whole time. Heat wide open for the additional cooling capacity. (And windows and sunroof, to prevent me from broiling...)

dmetalmiki

That was an epic journey well completed, and that half track (my favourite with the side valve engine(better power speed and MPG!)) looks well worth your efforts. So, congratulations on a mission well fulfilled.

Jericho

Nice score ! As soon as I secure an FV 435 Ill look for one or a V -100 Commando or a ________ list goes on and on, just lucky I have five trucks and 5 trailers and still married , (need a new 10 car garage next)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks