• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dragging junk cars in sand - Deuce or 5 ton?

wehring

truck

I don't fully understand the scope of your question but here is a story that i hope wil help.

I live near a beach in South TX that we can drive on. I often pull people out with one of my bobbers w/ michelin XMLs. Pulling heavier vehicles (F350) the rear sometimes starts to hop so I stop and start again. All in all no problems and no worries. The bobber does not want o sink even in soft ankle deep powder...

Justin

Last edited:

WildWolfman

not matter the weight in the truck, you will / can find something to get stuck in. as far as sand, weight is better, but if you have pencil thick tires, you will bottom out. Think of your tires like snow shoes, the wider your foot print the better.

o, and another note, I would use hte duece, for when the duece gets stuck you will have a truck to pull it out, not many things can pull your 5 ton out.

my 2cents so :grd:

DavidWymore

Planning on some sort of flotation tire setup. Right now I use my one ton Cummins Dodge with 325/85/16 XMLs, locker front, posi rear, but I want more pulling power, well traction and flotation really. And a bigger more powerful winch!

DavidWymore

Are you gonna be recovering vehicles?...or are u just wanting to "DRAG JUNK CARS" around in the sand as your title sez?
I live in the desert and spend a lot of time offroad(ing). I recover broken 4x4s, etc. as well as remove abandoned (usually burned) vehicles.

dittle

Either one would work fine then, but like wolfman said its easier to pull a deuce out than a 5 ton so I would go with the deuce.

rorybellows

sand as in sand dunes type or just high desert type terrain. anyway, jam it into low range, air down yer tires a bit, and give 'er hell when pullin

bassetdeuce

not matter the weight in the truck, you will / can find something to get stuck in. as far as sand, weight is better, but if you have pencil thick tires, you will bottom out. Think of your tires like snow shoes, the wider your foot print the better.

o, and another note, I would use hte duece, for when the duece gets stuck you will have a truck to pull it out, not many things can pull your 5 ton out.

my 2cents so :grd:
Listen to this man. He speaks the truth!

DavidWymore

Listen to this man. He speaks the truth!
Yeah....I'm just not sure what he means by "weight is better". If you're pulling something, the heavier you are, the better. Semis pull things real good...til you get them off pavement. Then they sink. A dune buggy does real good on sand, but good luck pulling anything. I would think a deuce would be better off as it's almost like a biiiig pikcup with more flotaion and traction, whereas a 5 ton is bigger, heavier, and more prone to sink. No one has mentioned suspension setups. That plays a big part. The guy talking about his bobbed deuce doing the hop - that's cuz it needs traction bars. I would think a stock deuce wouldn't due to the susp design but I don't know for sure. I also don't know what a 5 ton has underneath. An employee of mine said a 5 ton is big clumsy and heavy and a deuce will practically drive up the side of a mountain.

I will be mostly in dirt and sandy washes, sometimes in rocky canyons and sometimes on big dunes.

Josh

last weekend i took my deuce to the sand dunes, i forgot my airchuck so i left the inner dualies aired at 50lbs, but i lowed the outside to 15lbs and the front tires to 20 lbs, i dragged an F350 powerstroke that grenaded his cluch and and tranny, ( pieces were underneath the truck) and basicly i took a 20ft tow strap backed up about half way, and stabed on it in 2nd low range, and lurched him out, it was on about a 8% uphill. it was about a 50 yard hill, and took 4 back ups to get him out. i bet if the inside tires were aired down i prob would have had him first or second time. also drug out a f250 powerstroke buryed to the axles, and a ram 2500 cummins with a 38ft 5thwheel, some how he poped it outa gear in the soft stuff, so i just had to give him a little tug,

summary - deuce = good at pulling stuff out in sand.

dont own a 5 ton so i have no opinion on that.

side note - i had a volkswagon bug in the back of the truck when i was doing this.

DavidWymore

last weekend i took my deuce to the sand dunes, i forgot my airchuck so i left the inner dualies aired at 50lbs, but i lowed the outside to 15lbs and the front tires to 20 lbs, i dragged an F350 powerstroke that grenaded his cluch and and tranny, ( pieces were underneath the truck) and basicly i took a 20ft tow strap backed up about half way, and stabed on it in 2nd low range, and lurched him out, it was on about a 8% uphill. it was about a 50 yard hill, and took 4 back ups to get him out. i bet if the inside tires were aired down i prob would have had him first or second time. also drug out a f250 powerstroke buryed to the axles, and a ram 2500 cummins with a 38ft 5thwheel, some how he poped it outa gear in the soft stuff, so i just had to give him a little tug,

summary - deuce = good at pulling stuff out in sand.

dont own a 5 ton so i have no opinion on that.

side note - i had a volkswagon bug in the back of the truck when i was doing this.
Thanks, good info.

tm america

more weight =more stuck go with the deuce.in sand you need low ground pressure so less weight more contact patch:roll:airing downhelps out big time.oh ya have fun and take lots of pics

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really want your deuce or 5 tonner to do well on sand, add around 1000# to the back end of the bed. Of course this adds some weight but it's over 8 tires. What it really does is unload a bunch of weight off the fronts. Once the fronts sink, you are done. Both trucks are just way nose heavy for skinny tires in sand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks