• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drain Air Tanks Daily

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, question:

Do you need to drain the air tanks EVERY DAY, even if you don't use the truck, or just every day you use the truck/brakes?

Rattlehead

I also leave mine open when the truck sits, as condensation will build up via temperature changes. Lets the condensation drain and the tank breathe.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only negative thing I can think of with regard to leaving the tanks open is that an insect (e.g., wasp) can make a nest in the petcock. I've had plenty of wasps make mud nests that harden like a rock. Dave, I actually never thought of condensation build up when the truck was not running.

Rattlehead

I never considered the insects, as the hole is pretty small. But I guess you could still get one of those spiders that build a nest in a small hole. They would be in for a rude awakening when I started the deuce, as I usually forget to close them until I hear the hissing, lol. Maybe leave them 75% closed would be a good compromise.

I haven't been leaving them open on the tractor, but the automatic dryer must be doing its job because I haven't seen any moisture come out of the drains when I operate them.

acetomatoco

I have been leaving mine open after operation for 40 years...the 120 psi buildup after starting will purge any little bugaboo..and as you are doing your pretrip walkaround you close the valve...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only problem with ACE's procedure I can think of would be if the valve freezes in the open position. I know, it would be easy to warm up , but anyway.
Truck needs to sit level too....
Alcohol evaporator will help.....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the best course of action would be to close the valves after draining, thereby preventing any atmospheric moisture from entering the system. And bugs, too....

I guess if you have the air dryer and alcohol evaporator system intact, that is the best best for keeping moisture to a minimum in the system. You can't stop it all, but it would help...

co_rotorhead

When I open the valves for draining the tanks, one of the tanks (outboard) blows a fair amount of liquid - a mostly oily water mix. After driving maybe an hour or two and I drain the tanks, it blows a spot on the ground about six inches in diameter...this normal and if not any ideas?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
co_rotorhead said:
When I open the valves for draining the tanks, one of the tanks (outboard) blows a fair amount of liquid - a mostly oily water mix. After driving maybe an hour or two and I drain the tanks, it blows a spot on the ground about six inches in diameter...this normal and if not any ideas?
That is normal-it is where a little bit of engine oil (which lubricates the compressor) is making it past the compressor rings and being pushed through the air system to the tank.

sermis

I got some air tank drains from a Mack truck with the cable attached so I don’t have to get under the truck. Pull the cable, drain the water, release, and done. No getting dirty.

JDToumanian

When I open the valves for draining the tanks, one of the tanks (outboard) blows a fair amount of liquid
It's also normal for one tank to have moisture in it, and the other to be fairly dry... The tank with the line from the compressor connected to it is called the "wet tank" and will have the most moisture, because hot air from the compressor condenses there most... also all condensate from the compressor-to-tank air line will collect there. The other "dry tank" is connected to the wet tank and feeds all air operated devices on the truck.

The amount of moisture that accumulates in your tank depends on humidity. Here in the desert I only ever get a tiny spray from the wet tank - even after a full day of driving - and my dry tank is always completely dry.

Jon

Coveralls

The MN NG took some copper tubing and two small brass valves and ran them from the tanks to right underneath the bed. Don't even have to bend over. I too leave mine open after the seat time, helps keep theft down from the uninitiated.

Cdub

believe it or not.....but all of the four peck cocks on my air drians were full of grit that truned to hard mud from some kind of mud wasp.

I would drain each one after running the engine.

Starting with:

1-wet tank
2-spring break tank
3-primary tank
4-secondary tank

as per the -10 manual

all of a sudden the wet tank peck cock got so clogged up I had to disconnect the line from the tank and use my air compessor to clear it out. Then I had to take a blow gun and blow out the line to the peck cock. I think the next thing I could do is remove the wet tank and make sure all the gunk is cleaned out.

seya,

C'dub