• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drain and refill spicer, now stalling in neutral!

Bisdale

I just drained and refilled my spicer on my m35a2 multifuel. I also took off the top of the transmisson to inspect the gears. I've sealed it up and it dry shifts through the gears fine. To be safe, I started the truck with the clutch depressed, but when I try to let the clutch out with the spicer in neutral the truck begins to stall out! The truck isnt trying to move, I do however have the parking break on. I dont want to take it off just yet as I have one of the front wheels off and am rebuilding the hub and seals. I am confused and concerned.

When I was in the gear box, I detached the output drive shaft and pressed the clutch down in order to be able to rotate the gears to inspect them. Have I somehow messed something up? Or am I just dumb? I made sure my forks went back into there slots when I put the top on the spicer. And as I said, it dry shifts into all the gears fine.

Welder1

It sounds to me like you have it in 2 gears at one time. I would pull the top back off and look it over. If it’s in 2 gears at once the trans is locked. If you have it correct you should be able to turn the output shaft while it’s in neutral.

Eddie

Bisdale

It sounds to me like you have it in 2 gears at one time. I would pull the top back off and look it over. If it’s in 2 gears at once the trans is locked. If you have it correct you should be able to turn the output shaft while it’s in neutral.

Eddie

Oh man that's probably it. I did mess with those shift collars a tad. I will open it up today and see.

RaggedyMan

Drove mine almost 350 miles and managed to lock mine up in my parking lot when I got home just shifting from reverse to first. Not sure how or why it happened but she sure did lock up.

Bisdale

Drove mine almost 350 miles and managed to lock mine up in my parking lot when I got home just shifting from reverse to first. Not sure how or why it happened but she sure did lock up.
Pop it open and take a look, it's pretty easy to get open. Take the floor cover off and its 8 bolts and the top shifter fork cap assembly do dad comes right up off. You've peaked my curiosity. Just don't do what I did when you put it back on!

Bisdale

So I've figured out what was wrong. The Fifth (EDIT: reverse, not fifth) gear was engaged, and not in its fork! Turns out I should double check things like this! I was so sure I had those forks lined up, but it must have pushed the gear back as I was trying to line everything up.
The gear should be forward and not up against the rear wall.

How it should look when you put the top back on:
20180727_200504[1].jpg

How it should NOT look when you put the top back on:
20180727_200456[2].jpg

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... The Fifth gear was engaged, and not in its fork!
No worries, it can happen to everyone - one time at least... That large gear (which is actually 1st/REV) slides very easy and its fork is only so short.

Now, with that gear in REVERSE (all the way back) and the shift lever in NEUTRAL your transmission really never locked up.
So it was good that you had the clutch depressed before starting the engine. The only reason for it to stall - instead of the truck moving backwards (and eventually landing on its front pumpkin :shock:) - was the emergency brake, applied - luckily!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks