• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drain Plug and Washer Help

Hello, I found this in the manual at one point but never could find the part #. I am getting ready to do the first oil change on my truck since I have had it. Its a 70 XM813 with the NHC-250. The drain plug center square is stripped out. I would like to get a new magnetic plug and washer. Does anyone know off the top of their head where I can get these? Thanks

sandcobra164

If it were me, I would contact someone scrapping out M939 series trucks as mine has a magnetic drain plug from the factory. To get your old one loose, use a hammer and chisel on the edge to get a bite and go the correct direction. Righty tighty, lefty loosey has been a good standby for most fasteners until you get to the driver's side wheel nuts. Make sure to have at least 2 empty 5 gallon buckets ready to catch the oil. Once you get the plug loose enough to leak pretty good, place the bucket where it will catch the majority and walk away for about 30 minutes unless you've warmed the engine up first. When it comes time to remove the oil filter, be ready to divert the oil from the top of the axle somehow or clean the driver's side of the front axle afterwards. If you still have a canister type oil filter housing, do not trust when the Napa man say's it comes with the correct O-Ring. Order the correct pair from a dealer or contact the member out of Kentucky who makes the "Spin-on Conversion" adapter. I need to do the same thing myself and make future oil changes easier. It will still spill oil on the axle but I'll be able to source a filter much easier.

Thats a good idea. I hear that they build oil pressure faster with the spin on type but not sure. I was hoping someone has the thread measurements so I could special order a match. Obviously I hate to take it out and leave it without oil while I figure something out.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you use a spin on kit be sure to use a baldwin or Donaldson filter. They are about double the size of the napa/wix filter.

I use the big black tub bucket on top of two 6x6 blocks. The back of the bucket should be just under the transfer case cross bracket on a 939 series truck.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hello, I found this in the manual at one point but never could find the part #. I am getting ready to do the first oil change on my truck since I have had it. Its a 70 XM813 with the NHC-250. The drain plug center square is stripped out. I would like to get a new magnetic plug and washer. Does anyone know off the top of their head where I can get these? Thanks
Just call truck pro or napa. Their part number for the magnetic drain plug is 7045002

Sorry for the delay! I randomly checked this and saw the huge response. I did not get the emails saying anyone else responded. I ended up purchasing the plug and washer from Memphis Equipment. I was in the area looking at other trucks and figured I would check their parts department.

1979327-5365 Copper Washer - 3.19
6951247-5365 Magnetic Drain Plug - 22.00

In looking at the Napa website I paid double for the plug but about 75% less for the washer.

Thanks for the help!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sorry for the delay! I randomly checked this and saw the huge response. I did not get the emails saying anyone else responded. I ended up purchasing the plug and washer from Memphis Equipment. I was in the area looking at other trucks and figured I would check their parts department.

In looking at the Napa website I paid double for the plug but about 75% less for the washer.

Thanks for the help!
Dont let old Ed talk your ear off.

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike V. from Big Mikes has the plugs as well, and is getting the washers. Napa told me they're no longer able to get them.

Thanks Wes, as usual for pointing everyone in the right direction.

Thanks for the help!