• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drainage holes in bed

Apex02

Has anyone drilled drainage holes in the bed? Just curious if there would be any downside in doing so. I don't want a cargo cover but also don't like the water pooling up near the doghouse

papakb

There are already drain holes stamped in the floor during production in the areas where the X depressions in the floors are. About half of the HMMWVs you see have had them enlarged when some trooper jammed the end of the pick-maddox down thru them, so no, there is no downside to having holes in the floor. You could add some on the centerline panel to keep water from running up to the doghouse but you're still going to have to build some kind of a dam across the C pillar.

riderdan

If you're talking about water running down the channels to the doghouse when a four man truck is parked with the nose downhill, I don't think drain holes alone would do it. I don't think there's any downside to drilling (small) holes in each of the channels, but to really stop it you need to dam them up somehow. Otherwise a lot of the water will bypass the holes.

When I bought my truck there was some foam left in the channels which had apparently been under the plywood tunnel cover. Although it wasn't in every channel, in light rains it helped. For the moment, I just park with the nose uphill.

I'm going to try replicate what was there by putting foam back in the channels, then placing a piece of aluminum flat stock, cut to the bed width and painted OD, over the foam and using rivnuts to hold it in place. I will probably drill small holes just in back of this seal to allow pooled water to run out, but I expect to have to periodically clean them out because they're likely to get plugged with mud or other crud.

edited to say "don't forget to look before you drill. The fuel tank is under there somewhere" :???:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks