• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drash/GET Perkins 20KW no fuel problem

Maxlmt

No water. Good filter. The unit was empty when I received it. It took almost 19 gallons to fill.
I removed the actuator and then pushed the fuel rail in, but didn't spring back.
Yes I primed the unit 5 times or more. Fuel came from the black prime hole on the pump. Also the filer.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Right side of the pump area is a spring lever. You should be able to move it by hand. One of the injection pumps could be stuck down binding up the fuel rail. If the rail does not come left then no fuel can be pumped to the injectors. Figure out why the rail won't move.

Maxlmt

I remove the injection pump there is a lever from the right side of the engine that attaches to the fuel rail that does move back-and-forth with the lite spring. I'm assembling the pump as we speak after cleaning it.

Maxlmt

After installing a cleaned injector pump assembly, whithout the actuator the gen started. When the pump was dirty the fuel would not flow. The fuel rail would not move to the left allowing fuel.
After installing the Actuator the gen would not run. I'm guessing I had 2 problems.
1st is stuck Fuel rail.
2nd is The actuator

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Actuator is probably good. Make sure breaker on back of control box inside engine bay is on. Check and see if modules in control box have power in run position.

Maxlmt

They were on. The 3 above on the generator side behind the control box.
The generator also had a green light inside the generator compartment
The actuator has to work prior to any of that being energized. ???

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Should retract with the switch in run position. You can bench test the solenoid with a power supply. I have found bad crimps in the control box multiple times. Never had a bad solenoid. Make sure the emergency stop is pulled out.

Maxlmt

Ya. It doesn't suck in. When I first checked it out the actuator moved back in forth but never sucked in all the way.
Is it 12v or 24v? Then I could test it. After the gen started without the actuator, I plugged it in and it didn't move.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I used a 12v bench supply to test it. Should retract. It connects to the top left module in the control box. There is a marked power and ground connections on that module. Measure with meter see if the module has power in run position.

rsms

One of my perkins powered gen sets has a similar issue that I have not fully diagnosed. It will get no fuel on occasion and I have to unscrew the solenoid to get it to start them I can screw it back in once its running. I've been thinking I have a lazy solenoid as it doesn't do it all the time. Once it's running all is good, I've shut it down before and in 15 minutes went to start it and no fuel. I've also had this happen on a cold start. It's a totally random thing. I did try to identify the solenoid with no luck, I believe it must be made or sold by GAC to match the controllers. Has anyone ever found these solenoids if one was needed? Next time mine wont start I will switch it out with one that is known to be good and see what happens and report back. Since it's so random and always happens at a bad time it's always been a "it needs to run now" thing so no trouble shooting. I'd be curious if anyone else had something similar to this.

anthkey

One of my perkins powered gen sets has a similar issue that I have not fully diagnosed. It will get no fuel on occasion and I have to unscrew the solenoid to get it to start them I can screw it back in once its running. I've been thinking I have a lazy solenoid as it doesn't do it all the time. Once it's running all is good, I've shut it down before and in 15 minutes went to start it and no fuel. I've also had this happen on a cold start. It's a totally random thing. I did try to identify the solenoid with no luck, I believe it must be made or sold by GAC to match the controllers. Has anyone ever found these solenoids if one was needed? Next time mine wont start I will switch it out with one that is known to be good and see what happens and report back. Since it's so random and always happens at a bad time it's always been a "it needs to run now" thing so no trouble shooting. I'd be curious if anyone else had something similar to this.
We had a similar problem... the relay was bad... drop the control board on the left side is a relay switch ... check that ...we replaced that.. solenoid worked as it should..
also .. to the right of the fuel injector pump is a black knob.. unscew it .. you can feel the rack from there to see if it's free and moving...

bigfishtoys

that is funny. You are correct. I only have one 12" cover and was wondering what in the heck i'm going to do to try to find one of those for my missing vent hole. I'm in Madison quite a bit, mainly on the Middleton (West) side. Can't say i get to Janesville too often, but i have a buddy that works for the Janesville fire dept. I'd love to try to work something out.
Regarding all the filters, i ordered the 2 Donaldson air filters off of ebay, but for all the oil and fuel filters I was thinking of just going to a Napa store. Seems to sound all the guys on these posts bought Napa filters. I'm anxious to get it running so i can use it this weekend hopefully.

bigfishtoys

She run's GREAT! A bit hard starting but it may be just be me or Glow plugs? I think I might have one of your cover for the 12" duct? i have 3 12" covers and only 2 Ducts. Also I'm selling my ECU.
that is funny. You are correct. I only have one 12" cover and was wondering what in the heck i'm going to do to try to find one of those for my missing vent hole. I'm in Madison quite a bit, mainly on the Middleton (West) side. Can't say i get to Janesville too often, but i have a buddy that works for the Janesville fire dept. I'd love to try to work something out.Regarding all the filters, i ordered the 2 Donaldson air filters off of ebay, but for all the oil and fuel filters I was thinking of just going to a Napa store. Seems to sound all the guys on these posts bought Napa filters. I'm anxious to get it running so i can use it this weekend hopefully.

for the Napa Fuel Filter 3316, on ebay i found an interchange part number for a Fram G6561. I only see suggestions for Napa filters on these SS threads. Is Fram that bad of an option? Or is it ok to use Fram too? I hesitate to click buy for the Fram until i get a little feedback. Don't want to ruin my investment over a couple bucks saved.

Last edited:

therooster2001

I used actual Perkins oil and fuel, but they were NOS, a bit old. I tend to like Napa, for some reason Fram always felt cheaper quality, but that could be a perception. There are lots of back and forth on this on many other forums. Proof that it's inferior, and even Fram admitting that they were factual, with them saying they are now upping their game. Low quality is a hard thing to come back from. I go for the highest quality I can, according to my research and my perception. Don't think you'll ruin anything though.

shawnshumvee

Looks like this with around 16ft of cable. Very hard item to find.
View attachment 686137
Ok. That plugs in to the J1 outlet and what goes to the other end of that cable? I really don't know about this stuff. Does the other end of this cable get striped and wired into a fuse box or wired to 3-120 receptacles? also what ends up with the ECU power cable and that little cable next to it? see picture. And as for the ECU i believe its sold? It was bought on ebay but we all know how that goes.

IMG_3372.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks