• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drawbacks of HEMTT rims?

Scout

I'm looking to single my 5-ton, and HEMTT rims seem awfully affordable. What are the negatives of these rims? Looks like I can pick them up for $50/ea less seals/stems/hardware. What are seals/stems/hardware worth?

Are the strength issues with the 2-pc design?

I am prepared to flip my rear hubs - that's not a problem. I beleive they will fit with the rims reversed, but prefer the look of the rims facing the right way (bolts out)

Hammer

Don't forget to get some extra front budd caps. You will have enough for the rears already, but you need another set for each front tire.
They have been selling, NEW, with the O ring and nuts, for that price, then just get the stems.

Shipping was the only downside for me. I could have had twice as many if it wasn't for the cost of shipping.

USMC6062

I would get them with the hardware if you can. The O-rings cost about $10 each and the nuts are $2 to $3 a piece. I bought some hardware for my 5 ton combat wheels before I bought some of these HEMTT wheels. You could spend more on hardware than you could buy the whole wheel with hardware from some people. As far as strength goes, they are rated for 13,000 pounds each.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1600s are a way overkill on a 5 ton. Your power WILL suffer. If you drive on level ground ALL of the time, you should be fine. If you have ANY hills, you will notice a decrease in power. 1400s are plenty big for a 5 ton. They look meaty and you still have good power.

GoHot229

Boy don't you just think us Deuce guys wish and cuss every time we see these highly affordable and desireable wheels, and just know they wont fit the Deuce. Man if there was an afordable adapter plate/plates that would make the dream a reallity, the key word being "afordable" but, then they would go skyhigh if they would fit.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Boy don't you just think us Deuce guys wish and cuss every time we see these highly affordable and desireable wheels, and just know they wont fit the Deuce. Man if there was an afordable adapter plate/plates that would make the dream a reallity, the key word being "afordable" but, then they would go skyhigh if they would fit.
This fix is less than a week away. I was at the machine shop Tuesday evening and they were milling out my wheel centers. The first plate will be done this evening or tomorrow so I will try to get a tire on it and mount it this weekend. I hope to do all 4 to evaluate the drive. It will be affordable so we can all enjoy. I will post this as a new thread once it passes the test.

GoHot229

Hot Dang, You will probably have to quit your regular job with this . hope it works out for you/us. Theyre goin'a want to see pics and stuff, prices, and have a SPEECH . Right on.........

Last edited:

KsM715

CC equipment has done this already but f you can creat some competition and bring the prices down you may have something. Just dont buy up all the hemmt wheels and cut them up.

bambambam22

Please tell me where the end of the line is at so I can get in line for mine!!! I already have a set of Hemmit wheels just begging to be converted and a Deuce in the drive way that is jealous of the M813 that already has them. So help me to please my wheels and keep my Deuce happy by keeping me updated. I'll go out in the driveway right now and tell her that she may get her converted wheels soon. Thank you for fulfilling a desperate need.

M1075

Rick, I've got HEMTT wheels recentered for Deuce bolt pattern. I didn't know that is what you wanted. I have them with or without tires. Give me a call and we can work something out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, since nobody posted it, the biggest drawback is the weight! I got a bunch of them and was happy as heck. Then when I had to move them, holy CRAP! On the other hand, that weight means you won't hurt them. Anyway, just figured I'd post that drawback.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question - - The HEMMT wheel is some 1/2" thick. The studs in the rears will handle it lengthwise but wouldn't you want to use the caps so the wheel holes are correctly filled up and piloted?

Q 2: The fronts have shorty studs. The caps go over these, right? Otherwise, incomplete thread engagement.

So, final big money and safety question: The caps off the truck are not flat at the base, but rather are sort of cone-shaped so as to fit into, and pilot, the holes of a wheel. How secure is a cap nut, how tight will it stay, with only the tip of it's cone-shaped back end snugged up against the flat axle hub surface?

Think of the difference between sitting on a flat park bench and sitting on a toilet. It's easy to turn to the side on a park bench, but the toilet seat offers more resistance to turning due to more of a cone-shaped surface interface area. That's the illustration. (no comments about threaded seating arrangements please :twisted: this is a serious question)

Attachments

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, since nobody posted it, the biggest drawback is the weight! I got a bunch of them and was happy as heck. Then when I had to move them, holy CRAP! On the other hand, that weight means you won't hurt them. Anyway, just figured I'd post that drawback.

How much does a HEMTT wheel, no tire, just the wheel weigh?
Somewhere been said about 160 lbs.
Inquiring minds want to know!