• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

drawings of the 5t trans

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
does anybody know where i can get dimensional line drawings of the 5t spicer trans and spicer and fuller 8 and 10 speed od trans,
also is the trans pto special to the 5t trans or will it mount up to the 8 or 10 speeds or other trans.
since i have to drop the xcase anyway, im thinking of looking for a 8 or 10 to throw in the 819, this one mod would make the 819 1000% better to drive

poppop

Ron, if interested I have a Fuller 13 speed roadranger that came out from behind a triple nickle cummins engine. Price would be right. It does seem very long compared to the five speed though.

jatonka

I'm doing a RTOO-9513 in my 813 this winter, I need more gears and more road speed as it will be on road more than off road. I am putting a 13.5' dump box on it off my old IH . I will have to move the transfer case back. They say thre was a RTOO-10, but I have never seen one. Maybe out West. John T

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i need to make sure the front driveshaft clears the new trans, and that the trans pto will bolt up, though if i found the right trans, i could always get another pto if need be, id like to go with a od 8 or 10 because thay are a lot shorter then the 13, i dont have a problem moveing the xcase back a bit if i have to. as far as finding an 8 or 10, there is 2 truck junk yards not far from my place in ga. and la. seems to have one about every 50 miles. since my xcase is SOON to be on the ground, now is the time to start this project

jatonka

Ron, you brought up a good point, I better do some measurements on my RTO9513 in my International dump and be sure the front driveshaft will clear it. I never thought of it before your post. The 13 is only 4" longer than a 10.But now I am wondering about driveshaft clearance. Maybe a twin counter shaft transmission won't work. Anyone know about Spicer 7 speeds with Over Drive? John T

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i really dont need 13 , i just went to smooth out the shift and keep the power band where it needs to be

jatonka

I don't need 13 speeds either but I don't think there are any double overdrive 10 speeds. I do want a double overdrive or it isn't worth the effort of converting from the stock 5 speed. The way I read the data plate and operators manual the 800 series is only good for 53 MPH in high gear. Not enough for road running and I would like to lower the rpms a bit below 2100 when flat out. JT out

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my data plate reads 56 in 5th, but the 819 will do 65 with the 1200s, i dont want to go any faster, just getting there is a bit of a problem and the 819 does not like longgggggg hills, the 5t trans is not road friendly, basically the 5t trans is a 4 speed with od.

john
the 7 speed is part of the sst split touque series, it looks like it is wider then deep, the pto mounts up to the bottom

98hd

I had read in a previous topic someone said a 9spd road ranger would fit, and is the same length as the stock trans.

I think the trans in my 818 is going bad, when I put it in 5th and push down the throttle the gear stick will violently fling forward, and violently backwards if I get off the throttle fast, if I do it hard enough it will throw itself out of gear. My t-case won't hold in high range either, so when I get around to fixing that I want to take care of the trans at the same time. If there is a better option (especially one that fits w/o driveline mods) that would be great.

It seems to me that more power would be more beneficial than a lower OD though. If the truck can't hold a hill in 5th, what good will a lower OD help? Except for when unloaded and on flat ground. Of course if you could get enough more power, than the lower OD would be really useful. Or maybe I'm not thinking about this straight?

More gears between 3rd and 5th (or your OD gear) would be nice, the difference between 3rd and 4th, and 4th and 5th seems too wide of a range.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
your right, the hole between 3rd and 4th is so big that i can loose the 819 in, the one between 4th and 5th isnt to bad, 5th isnt a hill climbing gear,but would be nice to stay there a bit longer. the hole btween 3rd and 4th need at least 2 more gears, 3 would be nice.

i chose the 8 or 10 speed because thay are short and compact, if a rr 9 speed would work, that would be fine, i know that that thare 7s out there, but all the years ive been around trucks, ive never laid eyes on one

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you guys planning on converting your t-case sprags to work off of a dash mounted switch since the tranny valve is going bye-bye?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yes ,that was my plan, if i dont set up a trans switch, a spring loaded electric over air solenoid working off the backup lite switch, powered it is in reverse, non powered its spring loaded in forward, with a second air valve to hold it in neutral

m139h2otruck

Every issue of Rock and Dirt has an ad from Adelman's in Canton, Ohio inside the back cover that has been showing a Spicer 7 speed (new) for $2,850. Would really like to see the spec sheet on these.

98hd

I went out and quickly measured my trans. It is 30" from the back of the block to where the tailshaft housing bolts to the back of the trans, then I estimated about 6" to the u-joint yoke. So about 36" long.

If you go to the roadranger website and look at this PDF http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@roadranger/documents/content/rr_trsl-0116.pdf

They have an 8spd that is 33.1" long. Seems to be nice and close. Just lengthen the intermediate shaft a bit and your done. Got a right side SAE 6 bolt PTO output. Just need to see if the driveshaft would clear, doesn't look too wide.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
thank you,
wow that looks like the perfect trans, od plus double low, and super low in reverse, now just to find one to bolt up to the 855, i think the 855 has a # 3 bellhouseing, if im wrong ,someone please correct me