• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dreams about m1009's

kndllmtt

I am looking for a new toy and I keep finding m1009's for sale, so naturally my thoughts have started to turn a little green.

But I don't know what to look for in terms of problem areas in these trucks. I know rust is a huge problem, and the 6.2l are a little gutless. but is there anything that I should keep an eye out for when I go to buy?

Thanks, Matt.

91W350

Bent driveshafts or broken transfer cases from forklift abuse. As far as the truck itself, they are pretty well built. Electrical issues seem to be the worst. If the gen light go out shortly after you rev the engine and do not come back on, that i a plus. The axles, transmission, brakes and transfer case are all the same as civilian models, so parts are easy. Bad dash pad are normal. Jut look for leaking places, I like to raise the nose to take weight off of the tires and check for bad bearings and bushings. The starter and alternators are unique, but anything else is pretty easy to service.

kndllmtt

I got to wondering last night, but since a M1009 is essentially a 3/4 ton K5, does that mean the springs are actually a set of 3/4 ton springs? What other major changes are there from a stock K5?

91W350

They are just a half ton chassis, the military rates them as a 5/8ths ton? At any rate, when you go searching for parts, it is half ton parts you will need. They have the half ton, ten bolt corporate differential and use the half ton six lug wheels, not the eight lug 3/4-1 ton wheels. Glen

LionsLegacy

Based on the ratings, what would be the best way to lift one? I like to do it the right way, and Rough Country sells a 2 inch kit for 350 bucks that has new springs, shocks, all the hardware, etc.