• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

drilling brake drums

benand117

whenever i drive through the creek i don't have brakes for a couple of miles. what do you guys think about drilling the drums. i know guys use to do it to jeeps back in the day. don't see why it wouldn't work on the deuce.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your shift key broke?

benand117

i don't even know what a shift key is. i think it's just wet brakes. if i ride them for a little bit they dry up and work fine. i hear the holes let mud and water out. atleast thats what the old guys, (my dad), say.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell you don't know what a shift key is!

It's the key to the left of the letter Z.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Holes will let it in also.

Unless your truck is ONLY used off-road, I would not drill them.

dozer1

I would continue drying them out like you do. Ride em a little and there dry. The possibilities of doing more harm then good are there. I googled this and that was their general opinion on some other forums too.

phil2968

It's not just him it bothers, it bothers a lot of people. You might get more and better responses to your questions if you took the time to type properly.
Even disc brakes fade when sunk in water and need to be dried. The deuce brakes are bigger and carry more water, drilling may help relieve some water carrying but they will still need to be dried.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
If you lightly drag your brakes while going through the water it should help them to dry even faster cause water wouldn't be able to get to the friction surface as easy.

dozer1

:funny:

Don't the drums already have holes somewhere for this reason? Someone had told me about this once.

I think there is a few well placed holes. I know when I had a leaking wheel seal that the oil escaped from those holes and didn't get on the shoes. I thought that was pretty cool.

benand117

There are a few hole in it already, but they're around the edges. I figured if they were in the braking surface it would let water escape even faster. I just can't see drilling them could hurt the integrity of the drum, I mean they drill and slot rotors and the hold up in race cars.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you drive it on the road legally, and you have an accident, I think you will regret ever drilling the drums.

There is a big difference between a rotor and a brake drum.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The Army planned on driving them through water...... enough so that there were factory fording kits and they chose to have the drums as they are (undrilled).

Heavysteven

Best option would be to take off the inspect plates.

I am hesitate to even respond because I bet your bearings have had all the grease washed out.

Water above the hubs means mucho pcms.

khandoh

Rotors are drilled and slotted mainly on ABS applications to dispense some of the heat, as they can get very hot. Generaly speaking, large heavy brake rotors are kept, as brakes convert kenetic energy to thermal. The more mass to absorb heat, and the more surface area, the better.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best option would be to take off the inspect plates.

I am hesitate to even respond because I bet your bearings have had all the grease washed out.

Water above the hubs means mucho pcms.
:ditto:

Just remember, bigger holes let the mud and other garbage in easier too. If you are going to play in the mud, pull the drums and clean everything up when you are finished. I learned that lesson 30 years ago in my mud truck days. It doesn't take long for the mud to chew brake shoes and drums up. Not to mention bearings and seals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks