• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drilling through rear airlift bumper to mount license plate?

M1165A1

Does this seem like a bad idea? Putting two 1/4” holes 6” apart in the airflift bumper top surface to mount a license plate holder on the left side of the vehicle (clear of the Rhino spare tire mount).

The no-drill plate holder by Federal Military Parts doesn’t look like it fits the side of the bumper. I have a plate mount and a light with Packard connector to splice into the brake light, so left side seems easy. And I don’t want to mount below the bumper and cut off my angle of attack for those urban hill climbs.

Will these holes weaken the bumper excessively? I can see it will be a difficult drilling job due to the thickness of the steel on the bumper.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Does this seem like a bad idea? Putting two 1/4” holes 6” apart in the airflift bumper top surface to mount a license plate holder on the left side of the vehicle (clear of the Rhino spare tire mount).

The no-drill plate holder by Federal Military Parts doesn’t look like it fits the side of the bumper. I have a plate mount and a light with Packard connector to splice into the brake light, so left side seems easy. And I don’t want to mount below the bumper and cut off my angle of attack for those urban hill climbs.

Will these holes weaken the bumper excessively? I can see it will be a difficult drilling job due to the thickness of the steel on the bumper.
I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't imagine that you will be dropping your truck out of a plane or on a sling under a chopper.
Chances are that drilling two holes won't cause structural integrity problems in that bumper.

Just guessing though.

papakb

I drilled and tapped 2 holes in the airlift bumper so I wouldn't have to try to attach nuts somewhere up inside. Been on there 20 years now without a problem. If you want you can drill a third small hole for the license plate light and have the wire securely inside where it can't get hit.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or just do what I did.... Bought 2 airlift bumpers for $200.. 😂😂😂😂 That way I can Drill one and leave one a Virgin.. Just my 2cents and lucky situation.. But drilling 1/4" holes isn't gonna degrade the integrity of that piece of massive steel..

Ocho out

Crapgame

For me, considering the price and shipping expenses for the A2 Airlift Bumpers these days, when possible, I prefer not to alter the original part, or alter the cheapest part first. Those A2 seem to be galvanized then painted or less likely, powder coated. Sometimes welding galvanization can be a pain, and in the very least, it releases toxic fumes. Sure just a dab of MIG wire over the added license plate holes and a few minutes angle grinder later is an easy fix.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks