• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drive axle

willy

If I would want to drive on 1 axle withch one hould I diconnect by taking out the live axle and put on a flange only
The first axle or the second axle
The reason I was thinking off better diesel milage because the axles will not interfere with each other
What are you thoughts about that I will not drive this truck offroad and I will take thes 2 axles with me incase I do need them.
Willy

plym49

You only need one lockout hub on the front end - there is a thread here that goes into the gory details as to why one is enough.

Since you only drive on the road, you could just remove the front drive shaft.

You could also remove the rear drive shaft and drive off the center axle but I suspect it is better to drive off the rearmost axle - maybe someone could elaborate on this.

plym49

Need to read a thread by jwaller titled (deuce trans disaster...pics)
Thanks for that link. The moral of the story is that you should not run on the front rear axle with the rear disconnected. You should disconnect the forward rear axle and drive on the rearmost axle. You do this by replacing the driver's side front rear axle with a double-splined unit and then installing a lock-out hub.

nk14zp

Thanks for that link. The moral of the story is that you should not run on the front rear axle with the rear disconnected. You should disconnect the forward rear axle and drive on the rearmost axle. You do this by replacing the driver's side front rear axle with a double-splined unit and then installing a lock-out hub.
Or if you are cheap like me you use a civy trailer hub cap on one side.

Attachments

I pulled the front left tandem axle shaft and put a cover on it.

I noticed right away that I only left one set of black rubber marks when making the turn backing into my shop instead of three. (One from each axle)

I have a camper in the bed so I never had any real big problems with the rear wheels slipping until the rain hit.

But once the rain came I could feel my sprag Transfer case Locking in a lot when making right hand turns. So until the rain is gone the axle is back in.

Other than reduction in tire wear I did not feel any big difference. Steering felt the same. Milage did not change much. I had not done any long distance HWY driving so I don't know how it affected that.

Come summer I will pull the axle again. Its worth it to me just to save the tires. I am still amazed at how fast the front one go away when you drive your truck every day.

I am sure I have had traction issues In certain conditions even on dry pavement but with a functioning sprag transfer case it was never a problem. You may notice it a lot more with an air shift.

PS Do read the thread by jwaller titled (deuce trans disaster...pics)It could be a problem for you with an empty bed depending on your roads and how you drive.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks