• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drive CUCV off the GL/DRMO yard????

jworth94

I'm new to this process...

I'm trying to get an idea of how many people actually drive thier vehicles off the GL/DRMO yard.

I suppose there are a lot of hurdles, but do most people drive or get a tow?????

The reason I ask... after talking with my local GL guy, he said after the sale goes through it wouldn't be a problem to get a mechanic in there with some batteries, etc.

Thanks,

Jon

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to search for "bent drive shaft" threads and read them, then ponder your question. (IE, many drive shafts get bent at the DRMO lot and the likelihood that you will get one in great shape is quite low without an inspection beforehand).

deucebigalo

You need to search for "bent drive shaft" threads and read them, then ponder your question. (IE, many drive shafts get bent at the DRMO lot and the likelihood that you will get one in great shape is quite low without an inspection beforehand).

:ditto: And also dont count on what GL puts in its posting on the condition of the truck, in most cases they are not 100% correct!!! Just be prepared to make some fixes or have a tow truck available....this is just my2cents

jworth94

Maybe I should have asked... "Does anyone drive off the yard?"

Those are good points about the condition and drive shaft. I'll have to do some further investigation.

Jon

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends which yard. Some will let you, some won't. Ask first. It is really not a good idea to plan to drive out.

greenjeepster

Will your state issue you a temp registration tag without a title? You will be awarded the truck and have to pick it up at least 4 weeks before you even get the paper work you need to title the vehicle.

englishmauser

I drove My M35A2 off the yard at Ft. McCoy, but I looked at it before I bid on it. I took tools and all the fluids that I could possible need to top off any that were low. Best of all I took my brother-in-law along, who used to work on equipement in the military. We were pretty lucky, all we needed was to top off one of the rear ends with gear oil and get a jump start from Mike.

Alredneck

Banned
Redstone Arsenal is pretty good with their tucks, all the others is a crap shoot. I ussually drive them off the lot to a staging area if there is more than one I have to haul. If the drive shaft is bent do go far fast or you will tear up more in the process. If its bent already its up to you if you let them assist in loading it also what the headache rack on the lift from denting doors and other panels.

jworth94

Yes, my state allows a temp. tag for 2 days w/o a title. It's only good from one location to another.

The driveshaft should be good, although I'm no expert. I looked at it and took some pictures and everything looks in order. I suppose there might be something there that I can't see. On the exterior it looks normal.

I checked the fuel tank and there was some pressure released when I unscrewed the gas cap, so I think I may be good there, minus some good fuel.

Radiator is nearly full with a solid green color anti-freeze.

Oil is dark, no water that I could see.

Power steering fluid is at a normal level.

I didn't check the differentials and don't really know how. I'll do some poking around to see if I can do that while the vehicle is on the ground.

Jon

dmc-4359

Pull the fill plug that's about 3/4's of the way to the top of the differential. If oil comes out, it is full. If not, add gear oil until it does.

CUCV850

I'm new to this process...

I'm trying to get an idea of how many people actually drive thier vehicles off the GL/DRMO yard.

I suppose there are a lot of hurdles, but do most people drive or get a tow?????

The reason I ask... after talking with my local GL guy, he said after the sale goes through it wouldn't be a problem to get a mechanic in there with some batteries, etc.

Thanks,

Jon

90% of the time the truck is Not road ready, you be better off towing.

jworth94

dmc,

Off the top of your head, do you know what size that plug is? If you don't, is it u.s. or metric? It might save me a few trips.

To the rest;

Thanks for the ideas, I'm definately all ears.

I got the idea of running it out of the yard when I called a couple tow companies and their price inside vs. outside the gate was more than double. Hard to believe.

Since I'm only about 25 minutes to the yard, I can get over there and check things out. If it doesn't look good, then I'll probably try to "stage" it outside the gate and save more than a few dollars. That being said, I don't want to push it and cause more problems than it's worth.

It's interesting that at least some of you have actually driven out of the yard. There is hope!!!

Jon

91W350

If the driveshaft is your only real issue, pull it and drive on the front end. It will not hurt a thing. It would be much better than trying to limp home on a bent rear one. My transportation fell through, so I called Jefferson CIty and asked if my M1009 was hauled or driven in. He said they drove all 70 of them in. He also said he had it running eight months before I was scheduled to get it. We drove down in the M1008, jumped it and drove it home. I took my chances and made the 450 mile trip with no license plate. The only thing I had to do was replace a belt, wipers and the lift pump. I drive it daily.... oh yeah, it had no spare, so I had to round that up.

If you only have 25 miles to go, pull the rear drive shaft or the rear axles (axles if it is a pickup) and tow it home if you have to. That should be really easy. Glen

Last edited:

jworth94

I hadn't thought about driving it from the front. That's a great idea.

450 miles, no license plate or spare... now that's amazing.

Having never driven anything with a bent drive shaft... Would it be noticeable, without question if I got it running and then drove it in the yard? Would it rear it's ugly head at higher speeds?

Jon

rken302

if the drive shaft is bent you will know when you see it. they bend them from picking the truck up with a fork lift, so you can tell it will have a big kink in it. and check the brakes if they don't feel right then don't try to drive it !! we have enough horror stories on this one. you may be best off to tow it and go over it at home.

91W350

What happens is they pick up the trucks and move them around with a fork lift. We are not talking about a ding, we are talking about a genuine bend in the drive tube between the U joints. It will be obvious, stick you head in there and look at it. If it is bent that bad, you will know right away. If you are lucky, the shaft is all they got and not the adapter for the transfer case....

I was driving the M1009 and my son was following in my M1008. We even got passed by a few troopers along the way. One pulled in an talked to us at a fuel station in Jefferson City. Here's a couple of photos. Glen

Attachments

91W350

if the drive shaft is bent you will know when you see it. they bend them from picking the truck up with a fork lift, so you can tell it will have a big kink in it. and check the brakes if they don't feel right then don't try to drive it !! we have enough horror stories on this one. you may be best off to tow it and go over it at home.
I see we were typing bascially the same thing at the same time, I just had to wait on photos. Good advice, haul it if you can, but there is nothing wrong with a tow rope or driving if it has brakes. In the above photos, you can see a tag on the pickup, nothing on the Blazer. Glen

fokkerc1

I towed both Cucv's I have bought, but I titled (with just a signed bill of sale), tagged, and drove my Dodge D50 from the Mechanicsburg Pa. site. The guard said it wouldn't run, WRONG! It was from my Air Guard unit, and I knew the truck.:grin:

dmc-4359

dmc,

Off the top of your head, do you know what size that plug is? If you don't, is it u.s. or metric? It might save me a few trips.
Jon
As I recall, I just used a large crescent wrench because it was a square head type deal. I could be mistaken though as it has been a year since I was under the truck checking axle details. While I have it in my shop this evening, I'll roll under and take a look.

overkill375

if you pull the rear drive shaft and drive it in front wheel drive you will be pumping your t-case fluid out the rear output boys.:grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks