• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drive it before I mod it

daniel17319

I been going back and forth alot, from doing research on here and reading. I'm buying a deuce as soon as I get money thats owed to me, I have one waiting. The more and more I read the more options I come across and the less I think i know about the deuce. Im not a purist about the deuce and half infact I think it would be silly to be that way inless it was a collector or something. I been in the military and a military vehicle is a means to an end, so If improve it then i got a better machine.

I think Im just going to drive it and see if i like it the way it is or modify it. I had all these plans but im going to wait.

I had a friend tell me that I could flip the fouth gear and make a half ass 5 overdrive type gear, anyone know about that.

Heath_h49008

If it were that easy there wouldn't be $1500 overdrive kit out there. Although, in fairness, that overdrive kit from Waterloo is more than just a taller 5th. It solves some known weaknesses in the deuce tranny.

Drive it first. After you get the brakes, seals, and all required maintenance done... try some 395's or the OD options.

steelandcanvas

I think Im just going to drive it and see if i like it the way it is or modify it. I had all these plans but im going to wait.

I had a friend tell me that I could flip the fouth gear and make a half ass 5 overdrive type gear, anyone know about that.
Best thing you've said yet. Buy it first, play with it for awhile and then make a determination on what you want to do. 5th gear in a Spicer 3053 is already an overdrive gear.

Last edited:

daniel17319

Hes a truck mechanic so I listen to him he may not know what hes talking about. The question Im asking is not going to be found and a -10 -20 what ever level maintenance manual you quote. He was explaining a way to get a half ass higher gear ratio out of a truck.

daniel17319

Im actually getting burnt out from reading about the deuce. I'm prolly going to take a little break from it. Heath you were explaining something to me about lockers on a deuce and half you may need to clarify this more to me or send me a pm on it.

Edit, were can I buy a -10 paying to print one will be costly, ill do like what i did in the army laminate the PMCS before Ops, during and after Ops keep in the glove compartment. Do any of you guys know if the Army still prints -10 for the deuce I might be able to go to pubs or S3 and just have a friend order one for me.

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

Oh... That's easy.

For fuel efficiency:

Front axle locking hubs. They reduce resistance.
Second/front tandem: Get a single lockout just like on the front, and a modified axle shaft. It allows the center axle to be freed up as well.

Traction:
locker in the rear axle.
locker in the front/steer

Search under "lockers" and "lockouts" and you will find tons of builds with great details and pics.
Each of the 4 upgrades cost $500 give or take.

steelandcanvas

Edit, were can I buy a -10 paying to print one will be costly, ill do like what i did in the army laminate the PMCS before Ops, during and after Ops keep in the glove compartment. Do any of you guys know if the Army still prints -10 for the deuce I might be able to go to pubs or S3 and just have a friend order one for me.
Download them to your hard drive, print what you need to do a task. TM's are located under the Resources tab. Your S3 might find them obsolete.

Heath_h49008

There was a few guys selling them on fleabay from time to time as well. Like $25 EACH.

For that price you could buy a cheap or used kindle/laptop/notebook and have all 10-15 you need as well as the comic PMCSs in electronic form.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks