• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drive or fly to pick up CUCV?

flyboi__01

Right now I am scheduled to pick up my CUCV from Nellis Wednesday morning. I am wondering if I should fly there and roll the dice driving it home or drive out there and trailer it back. Not having to drive 11 hours one day and then do it the next sounds great but I don't want to get there and have it non-drivable and no way to get it home. Thoughts?

James

By the way if anyone wants me to eye anything at Nellis let me know.

86m1028

Right now I am scheduled to pick up my CUCV from Nellis Wednesday morning. I am wondering if I should fly there and roll the dice driving it home or drive out there and trailer it back. Not having to drive 11 hours one day and then do it the next sounds great but I don't want to get there and have it non-drivable and no way to get it home. Thoughts?

James

By the way if anyone wants me to eye anything at Nellis let me know.

I would trailer it.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Trailer it. I picked up 2 from there in December. Both had dead batteries, both had forklift damage with one having a bent driveshaft. They are all unloaded off the flatbeds by forklifts there so there's a good chance you'll have a bent driveshaft.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you could always fly out and attempt to drive it back. Just make sure you post the adventure and pics! Should make for some exciting reading for us!!!

:twisted::twisted: Yeah, thats the ticket, Drive it back, just for us!!! :twisted::twisted:

Seriously, trailer it...

91W350

I took the AMTRAK to Salt Lake City and drove one home, but I knew it was a runner. It was a wonderful trip. I also picked up one in Jefferson City and drove it home, but I knew they drove it in. I would have to tow the one you bought.

wikallen

Have someone close remove it from base for you, and look it over, if you plan to drive it. Otherwise I would trailer it.

davidkroberts

not to go with the flow, but trailer it.

you could always just have it towed on a hot shot. With the price of fuel and flying it might be just as easy. Last time i uship.com quoted one it was around 70 cents a mile for a CUCV.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Calculate fuel and your time to trailer it versus having it trucked to you. That's a long haul in an untested vehicle.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you fly, answer these questions:

1. How will you get from the airport to the Base?
2. If the batteries are bad, what will you do?
3. If the truck is out of fuel,what will you do?
4. If I get to the base and the truck doesn't start (hole in the block, etc),what will you do?
5. If it starts and the driveshaft is bent, what will you do?

Picking up a truck from any military base can have it's issues. Unless you have a "recovery vehicle" to bring parts, supplies or fuel, they will not just let you walk in.

If you want to fly in, have someone get the truck off base and give it a once over.

Last January, my son and I flew to Las Vegas to drive a GSA Suburban back to OKC. I had the truck towed to a friends house ($200) and he replaced a tire, alternator and battery. Drove it home without a problem,except no heater in the middle of winter.

Without a set of eyes on the truck I would have had alot more trouble.

ranchhopper

Had a friend tellm me those trucks were in rough shape lots of bent driveshafts and the usual forklift dents. If they sat anywhere it got below freezing the batteries froze and are junk they sit so long with no charging they freeze up and the plates crack in them. many have bad tires, u-joints etc. You never know and to get all the way out there without tools and a chase vehicle will not be a good trip even with minor issues.

ryan77

Trailer it, i drove one home from georgia to ill, SETOYOTA towed it to his house and charged the batteries and looked it over which was awesome of him to do for me, i made it to Atlanta when the rear driveshaft seal went, had to add about 4 qts to make it home and sprayed any one behind me, the back window wouldnt roll up and 50 miles from home the front tire blew and i had no spare it was a adventure to say the least. The tires belts hoses etc may look good but there going to be dry rotted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks