• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

drive shaft ball joint

truck0590

I have a front drive shaft out of my m1009. The ball joint seals on the double u joint are gone. Can this be replaced? If so anybody know the part #? How do you get it apart?

Truck

Croatan_Kid

I think they're called centering joints. Should be readily available at your local parts house for a civvy K5. Just tell them what you need and they should be able to find it pretty easy.

truck0590

Frickin computer monkeys at the parts stores don't know crap....if it isn't in the computer they have no idea. Man I miss the days when the guy behind the counter knew cars and trucks. I guess I'll go to the GM parts house and see if they know if it can be replaced with parts...

Truck

truck0590

Well, I found the rebuild instructions in the 289-34 TM...it states a u joint repair kit and CV ball kit are needed to fix. Nobody at any parts stores know what that is. I will check driveline shops when I get a chance.

Truck

Jake0147

It sounds to me like nobody at the parts store is looking. It's available in ANY brand that you can find a U-joint in locally, they've probably got two on the shelf... If they dig out the catalog there's a picture. If you bring some crayons you can color it for them, maybe then they'd find it. :D I just went through this same part on a ford plow truck, once I got in the internet and found a number they could cross, every parts store in town had at least one. I feel your pain.

truck0590

The TM doesn't have a part number unfortunately. I even took the driveshaft in with me to the parts store and they had no idea what they were even looking at.

Truck

beaubeau

I can tell U I have done several of those and it is not easy! I have gone as far a elliminating the Double joint and gone with a Single one. It can be done, or U can keep it original and maybe have someone do it for U. Good Luck, Phil

AJMBLAZER

There's a number of aftermarket shaft makers who can make high angle single jointed shafts that will eliminate the CV. Not cheap but a better overall solution.

Crash_AF

Double cardan joints are fine, but they do require a special tip for the grease gun to grease the centering ball. I would personally find a reputable driveshaft shop and have yours rebuilt. If you keep it greased, the centering ball will last a long time before it has to be replaced again.

The NAPA part number for the Double Cardan (CV) joint centering ball rebuild kit is PUJ606 and is $26 according to the online catalog.

NAPA lists the entire shaft online for $279 with a $56 core FWIW - Part#NMD 931141

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks