• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

drive shaft

ODdave

I guess i should clarify....... the 2 shafts are Not straight with each other are they? (bad for the joint) judging by the pic i would raise it......

ApopkaFL

Banned
The two shafts are straight. ( I just the photo). I had the shaft like this <=====> straight with the rear drive drop to the rear axle but I did not like the angle of it. That is why its the way it is now.

ODdave

fwiw, never run a cardan joint without some angle on it. The needle brg's will not roll therefore will not transfer lubrication and suffer from impact loading.

smoke

I believe you want a min of 3 degrees working angle and no more than 7 degrees on u joints for driveshaft. there is a tool you can get for reading angles on driveshaft.Like somebody else said need angle for needle bearing to move in caps.2cents

ApopkaFL

Banned
I believe you want a min of 3 degrees working angle and no more than 7 degrees on u joints for driveshaft. there is a tool you can get for reading angles on driveshaft.Like somebody else said need angle for needle bearing to move in caps.2cents
fwiw, never run a cardan joint without some angle on it. The needle brg's will not roll therefore will not transfer lubrication and suffer from impact loading.

thanks guys.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know much about vehicle drivelines but I have been heavily involved in agriculture drivelines in the past.

What a lot of people don't understand is that a u-joint will have a change in velocity depending on the angle (the more the angle the more the velocity change). On ag applications you should always have u-joints in pairs running at close to the same angle. That way one will cancel out the velocity change from the other and not pass it on to the driven part. This is also why driveshafts need to be timed. CV joints can be used by themselves because they are basically two u-joints in one and cancel out the velocity change within the joint.

Also, if the angle is too great the velocity change can become too much and cause the driveshaft to vibrate wildly. People that have pulled a PTO driven piece of equipment behind a tractor and cut too sharp have experienced this.

Going by my ag experience, If you get much angle on that center joint you're going to have vibration problems. Most vehicle drivelines I've seen with carrier bearings are pretty straight from the trans to the carrier (this angle doesn't change and remains constant). From the carrier to the rearend is where the angles are and move depending on axle articulation.

Awesome Possum

Does this drive shaft look good in the postion its in?
Help me out here as I'm adding about 8-9" to the wheelbase of my bobber, but I can't figure out what your picture is of. Is this a really lengthened bob, an M36 or what? I won't need a two piece driveshaft for my lengthening, will I? Plans are to use a driveshaft loop just in case things go awry.....:???:

Awesome Possum

Help me out here as I'm adding about 8-9" to the wheelbase of my bobber, but I can't figure out what your picture is of. Is this a really lengthened bob, an M36 or what? I won't need a two piece driveshaft for my lengthening, will I? Plans are to use a driveshaft loop just in case things go awry.....:???:
DOH! Is this a crewcab?:cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks