• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drive train question

magerdgr

So, I know it's a long shot, but I have a question about the oddball drive setup in my contact maint truck. The drive shaft goes from the t case to what appears to be a coupler to disconnect the rear shaft when the generator is engaged. However, this coupler doesn't seem to move, and I assume that it is just frozen from sitting so long, but the truck won't drive because the rear shaft won't engage? Is everyone as confused as me now? I just want to know how this setup is supposed to work so I know if this is the problem. Any input? I'll post on g741 as well, but I assume this unit is unique to my weirdo rare truck, and like everything else, I won't be able to find any info.
hoping for help.

vtdeucedriver

Just as you discribed..............................Engine runs the generator..........When the truck is running and your in 4th gear, is the shaft turning to the splitter?

magerdgr

Yes shaft to splitter turns. When I try to engage either the gen or the drive, nothing changes visibly on the coupler. I can spin the pully for the gen on the shaft, but the truck won't drive when I shift to drive? Like I said, nothing visibly changes with the coupler when I shift. The linkage is hooked up, and moves, but what I assume is a slider doesn't actually slide?

vtdeucedriver

Sounds like thats the case. I guess what I would do is take a look at the linkage at that splitter and figure out which direction you need to go for drive and move the handle in that direction and maybe take a soft mallet just to see that your indeed engaging it. I cant say how the set up goes, guess I could grab a Corona and look in the manual.

magerdgr

If you have access to a manual with that in it, I would be much obliged! I did try banging it in either direction, but had no luck. This has to be the case though, I can't think of any other reason it wouldn't engage that rear end. It has sat since the mid '80's, so its not unlikely that it could be stuck.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try TM 9-8031-2. That is the TM for the G741 series powertrain. The copy I found is PDF only- I can't print it, but it is chock full of exploded diagrams and tear down/rebuild instructions.