• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveline / Pinion Brake Install Questions

pcblakeley

So, I was thinking that since I have a slight brake problem on the 5 ton I would go ahead and upgrade to a disk brake on the pinion for the front axle.

My question is, how do I go about doing this?

Could I run the drums on the outsides and the disk on the pinion?

What effect would air over hydraulic have on the single pinion brake?

Where would the best place be to connect into the hydraulic lines?

Would this overload my master cylinder?

Could I possibly incorporate this into a parking brake assembly?

I was thinking that for 250.00, this would be a great thing to have not to mention it looks very cool. Plus the thought of getting the brakes on the truck prior to the power reaching the reduction.....

I feel like the weakest link in my truck is the brakes and this wold give me that little bit of a better feeling overall.

Thoughts? Comments?

Attachments

wdbtchr

I've been looking at a pinion brake for several years without much progress. I think you're kidding yourself if you think it going to help if you have a braking issue. A single disc on the pinion isn't going to add enough additional braking surface, it will flame out quickly.2cents

The parking brake is exactly that, not an emergency brake. I do think it would make a better PARKING BRAKE than the original. Thats the end I have been looking toward for my M51A2, the original parking will not hold it while dumping on any kind of a grade. The problem is how to operate it, the thousand dollar question. The only workable idea I've come up with is something hyraulic like a porta power.:roll:

There is at least one thread I know of on this subject, good luck with the search function. I can never find old threads.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been looking at a pinion brake for several years without much progress. I think you're kidding yourself if you think it going to help if you have a braking issue. A single disc on the pinion isn't going to add enough additional braking surface, it will flame out quickly.2cents
:ditto:

The rockcrawlers and whatnot can get away with them because they're not stopping nearly as much weight and they go much slower.

David, If all you're looking for is a parking brake you may want to see about a line lock. MICO, Inc. : Products/Literature

wdbtchr

I've actually got a Mico Lock on my '80 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 and it works great. Put it on mainly for winching. I guess I was so focused on adding an additional system to the 5 ton I just hadn't thought in that direction. I think it's time for some research along that line. I've been watching the thread on split systems for some time, might be time to see about doing both at the same time.

jhooah

If you read the fine print on the add for the pinion brake assembly they say it also damages the pinions if used for braking action.
I'd advance with caution there.
What i did see that was interesting was using commercial disk brake hubs on a Deuce axle (they make a 8 bolt Civy truck) which would be a really interesting mod and likley help stopping greatly as far as non-locked up stopping distance. You'd have to split the system though to calibrate the rear drums VS the front discs.

Our M543A2 Wrecker has a button to push to lock the brakes for recovery operations. Not sure how it works yet as I'm trying to resolve wheel cylinders and (now) front wheel bearing issues.

jwaller

shouldn't be used on the road at all esp with the weights we have and the fact that the pinion turns so fast.
DO NOT DO IT! you will melt seals and cook the thing in very short order.

the stock brakes when working correctly on a 5t will lock them down and throw you into the windshield. fix the stock stuff.

pcblakeley

Cool deal, thanks fellas. I am off to purchase some 5 ton 2" wheel cylinders and a gallon of Dot 5......hopefully I can find them locally.

Appreciate the help on the decision! Steel Soldiers coming through again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks