• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drivers Door Handle Problem

AZDeuce

The drivers door handle no longer functions properly I think the spring that operates the striker must have broken.

The door still latches and locks from the inside manually, but not automatically.......I think decades ago I had this happen on either a M37 or a M35 gasser I don't remember which, but I know it was the "wound curly Q" spring.

Is there a source for these, if so, where?

I think I made one of my own out of a flat spring steel but forget where I got the spring steel from.

It's terriblel getting old!

I haven't disassembled the door/and latch yet, but From the way it works I'd say it was the spring, is there a left and a right, or is it one size fits all?

Thanks in advance!

91W350

I just pulled one yesterday out of a M820 for one of the M35A2s I have been working on. It was not a bad job, but replacing it in the door with my big hands and forearms was a challenge. Wound up pulling the door glass and using wire to pull it into place.

AZDeuce

Thanks for all the information, and links both for parts and information., the link put up by camoyj7 was perfect, being a cheap weasle, I will try to fix it myself using that method, if no luck I'll be contacting one of the above mentioned vendors. At least now I got a direction to head.

ratat98

Same thing happened to me as I was recovering the deuce I just bought from 91W350. I took the mechanism out when i got it home and the little spring that makes the door latch had broken. I found one on TNJMurray.com and had it fixed as good as new! only cost me about $40 if I recall correctly. On another note, a bunjii strap will work great as a door latch until you get it fixed :driver:

bombdfuzer1369

1970 Kaiser M35A2, Stripped out my drivers side door handle, it has been going for a while, has anyone ever replaced the inside mechanism, and does the entire door have to come apart?? or is it assembled all through the access panel in the door itself??

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
regulator clips

It all slides in through the access panel. Its no fun but not impossible, just hard to get into.
I just finished that job on the Deuce door.
These were helpful
TM 9-2320-361-20 11-6/11-7
TM 9-2320-361-24P 0108 00 figure 107
Also took the tip of pulling the operating handle end up in there with a wire.
Yes I took it all apart, took out the glass because I did not want to leave any parts of my arm in there.
The spring on the door latch thing was broken.
But then I found the window regulator failed.
I suggest anybody that has a bit of time to just open the access panel.
Remove or find the regulator clips and grease it all, especially the driving pins at the clips, or one will get to change the whole thing out due to the rot.
The window regulator entire mechanism is built strong and doesn't corrode except for the ends where the clips fasten! So I had to take it all apart anyhow to change the window regulator.
window reg clip IMG_4042.jpg window reg clip IMG_4046.jpg window reg clip IMG_4045.jpg window reg clip IMG_4063.jpg
found some for sale
NSN [h=2]2540-00-562-0422 [/h]
General Characteristics
Item Description
Spring steel; 1.000 in. od; inside opening, 0.438 in.
W, O.650 in l; 0.262 in. over all thk

regulator clip.JPG

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Door Latch Repair

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?34782-M-Series-Door-Latch-Repair

It took over an hour to me to "re-find" this but here it is.
Really excellent posting about the door latches.
Also don't spray lube all over the felts and non metal stuff in the door. It was designed to run without lube.
But DO put grease on the window regulator lifting nubs where the clips are or the pins will rot away.

door lock operating thing 100 each left right.jpg
I don't want to loose this again
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?34782-M-Series-Door-Latch-Repair

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks