• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

driveshaft removal

Lmtv772

Banned
Plan C : align desired cap to be removed so it is on top and block a bottle jack up against the yoke from below and jack. Tap yoke with hammer to assist if needed. Rotake shaft 180 degrees and jack opposite cap off. Does less damage than beating on shaft with hammer. If you ever want to get this apart in this lifetime; coat liberally with never seize when reassembling.
I tried plan c, didn't work. I again went back to plan B (sledge hammer) This time it worked, but because I didn't take the grease fittings off, I broke 1 off :(( each cross. So for the next time. It's better to take the grease fittings off first. Now I gotta drill and tap them ...fun fun

FSRD

One thing that I did when removing my drive shaft was purchase a steering wheel puller kit. I did this because the caps busted off on the U-joints so I had no way of getting it out other than trying to pound them out with a hammer which I didn't want to do cuz I didn't want to damage the gears and all that jazz in the axle. When using a steering wheel puller the kit comes with the bolts that will thread into the holes the bolts come out of that hold the caps on. Once you thread in the two bolts with puller attachedl you can crank down on the center press bolt on the steering wheel puller and it will press the U joint through the holes on the drive shaft then you can remove the remainder of the cap on the one side twist the drive shaft and remove the other cap then it drops off. You can even take it off with just one cap removed. Hope this will assist someone someday.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could just buy the correct tool? This is mine and it is a Tiger tool #10102. If one decides to buy one don't get the medium duty as we need the heavy duty one.

Attachments

Last edited:

FSRD

Are you able to provide a link so someone can purchase one of these at a parts store that way if they're in an emergency situation they're able to Source One out. Thanks!

FSRD

Thanks guys! Looks like Autozone has them so if an emergency situation occurred you could go there to get one but at nearly $400 ouch I'll pop the top part of the caps off and use a steering wheel puller. The link provided is a much better option when comparing it to what Autozone wants. Thanks guys!

sjohn116

I too bought the Tiger Tool listed above, about $250 with free shipping from the online book store. As NDT said, use the right tool. I hit everything with penetrating lube the night before. Next day, removal of rear driveshaft from start to finish took less than 30 minutes w/o air tools or soldier B. 1-1/4" socket on 1/2" wrench for the Tiger Tool, 13mm or 1/2" wrench for u-joint caps, the job couldnt be any more straightforward. My U-joints slide right out without any complications, without any air tools.

sjohn116

While we are talking about driveshafts, what is the cause for the extreme sensitivity of the drivetrain to slop in the slip joint, and what is the cause of the slop in the slip joint? My local transmission shop says that anything less than a 1/16th" isn't worth worrying about, yet the TM is talking about 0.002" is max allowed. Long heavy shaft at a bit of an angle...if that is the root cause of all our ailments, would a brand new driveshaft with double cardan joint and slip yoke solves our problems long term? A double cardan at one end (which end?) would allow us to rebuild our now-constant-velocity shaft with three u-joints. Easily rebuilt. Easy on the wallet. Let's air this out a bit while I take measurements and send out requests for quotes from east coast driveshaft shops.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks