• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft spacer

Hasdrubal

Been driving my M1009 for 7 years with a 4"lift. Had to replace my rear t-case seal multiple times due to it starting to leak. Its only a little weep but it eventually collects on the u-joint and drips on the ground. You can clearly see the old wear marks where shaft used to contact the seal. Heard about installing a spacer between the rear u-joint and pinion. Anyone tried this? Or know how much to space it, 1" or 2 " ?

fox3344

Unless you've done it already...

There are 1" spacers on the transfer case mounting bracket. From the factory they are on "top" of the bracket. I usually move the spacers to in-between the mounting bracket and the frame. I've done this in the past with my Blazer's with a 4" suspension kit. Never really had any issues with leaking seals or drive line vibration.

Just another idea, good luck.

86m1028

Unless you've done it already...

There are 1" spacers on the transfer case mounting bracket. From the factory they are on "top" of the bracket. I usually move the spacers to in-between the mounting bracket and the frame. I've done this in the past with my Blazer's with a 4" suspension kit. Never really had any issues with leaking seals or drive line vibration.

Just another idea, good luck.

Why do people do this ???aua

It just makes your frt driveshaft angle worse.

JUNKYARDJOHN

Why do people do this ???aua

It just makes your frt driveshaft angle worse.
I believe he's talking about lowering the whole transfer case 1 inch from the frame. It makes the angle on both driveshafts less sevear. I've done it on several lifted vehicals over the last 30 years, with no problems. John

JUNKYARDJOHN

it still does not help his drive shaft length.
It won't make your drive shaft any longer... but it does make it go farther into your transfer case. Just think of it as a triangle..& you're reducing the small leg (side opposite) thereby reducing the hypotenuse leg. (distance between the yokes) GAWD it's been 35 years since I had a trig. class. I think I gave myself a headache.aua John

Last edited:

Matt1031

Best bet is to get a slip yoke eliminator kit and have a custom rear driveshaft built. If you really wanted to go all-out, you could hunt down an older Blazer/Jimmy with a fixed yoke output NP205 and swap out everything from the T-case back into your '09. Not the cheapest route, but works much better than trying to band-aid fix the problems of a slip yoke style output.

czechers1999

Can I get anyone's thoughts on putting thespacers between the frame rail and the crossmember on a stock m1009. I understand you will lose 1 inch of ground clearance but are there any other issues to be aware of?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks