• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driveshaft

ssdvc

I am working on the underside of my truck. When able, I will be replacing the rear seal on the trans. I'll need to remove the rear driveshaft in order for this to happen and while I am at it, I was going to replace the U-joints (Spicer 5-1350X). I have viewed a few videos and thought I would be dealing with this type of U-joint, held in by that clip:

IMG_3476.JPG

While my buddy was under the truck, he snapped pics of my U-joints for me. This is what is on there now, both connecting the slip yoke in front to the rear driveshaft and also on the rear end attaching it to the end of the driveshaft:

IMG_3473.JPGIMG_3474.JPGIMG_3475.JPG

Notice that there are no ring clips holding the U-joints in. My question is, do I need some other type of U-joint? Trying to line up my ducks before starting this.

ssdvc

OK, I think I purchased the worng U-Joints. The 5-1350X is for a manual trans. It says I need 5-795X. Both are non greaseable, but maybe one is a different size? Anyway, it looks like my local Autozone has 2 in stock, so I'll get them in the morning.

However, all the U-joints I have looked at have clips and it appears the ones currently installed in my truck do not. What am I missing?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones on the truck are probably factory u-joints and injected plastic holds them in , the replacements use the clips to hold them .
You know save a penny during production using plastic. Should be covered in the TM.

ssdvc

Thanks Porky. I did some further reading and that's exactly what I have. I guess the Spicer replacements (5-795X) have some sort of "inside" retaining clip, which I'l try and figure out how to do. I am sure it will be fun removing them, but I also read that sometimes they can just be removed with the C-clamp tool. More to follow.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Porky. I did some further reading and that's exactly what I have. I guess the Spicer replacements (5-795X) have some sort of "inside" retaining clip, which I'l try and figure out how to do. I am sure it will be fun removing them, but I also read that sometimes they can just be removed with the C-clamp tool. More to follow.
A little bit of heat from a propane torch will melt the plastic out . it will come the hole they inject it in .

cucvrus

The rear U joint on the m1009 has the snap Clips on the caps inside to center it on the yoke. Same as the driveshaft. the snap rings are on the inside. They are NOT out side.
Spicer® Light Vehicle U-Joints | Spicer Parts

This is just an example. The M1009 requires the internal snap rings to keep the U joint centered in the open yoke.

cucvrus

Flange Yoke/ U Joint, Cardan U Joints, कार्डन यूनिवर्सल जॉइंट in tarihal  Industrial Estate, Hubli , Add Precise Forge | ID: 20530111591
This yoke has no flange to center U joint. The C clips do the centering like an M1009 was designed. Clips on inside of U joint caps.
U-Joint series identification
This yoke requires no C clips and is self centering when the correct U joint is seated inside the flanges.
Pinion Yoke listings
This is an example again of the Clip yoke that is stock on the M1009.
Pinion Yoke listings
This is how I see people that didn't figure out why the U joint won't stay centered. All the U joints on the M1009 drive shaft have the C clips inside at the rear U joint. Do it right, or just don't do it. Good Luck.

ssdvc

Ok, finally got my buddy back to help me finally get to some of the remaining maintenance items (not done yet). Swapped out my U-joints today and they look to be the originals (plastic locking ring).

IMG_3722.JPG

I used the Spicer lifetime 5-795X on both ends of the rear driveshaft.

IMG_3724.JPG

On the old U-joints, all the needle bearings were hard to move and fairly dry. Some of the cups were rusted inside and the U-joint bearing surfaces on the rear most U-joint were shot. Definitely time for replacement (maybe overdue? :unsure:

IMG_3725.JPGIMG_3730.JPGIMG_3728.JPG

Glad to get to these, as it looks like failure was imminent. Process was fairly straight forward, although having a impact gun and that ball joint clamp made the job really easy.

IMG_3723.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks