• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving a 5 ton... topless!

rrrr

Thanks Ray! I still give my mom a hard time about that. She doesn't take it seriously anymore though haha.

I can't wait to get it back out again. The first and only parade I had it is was the veterans parade in Florissant. Ross was there also. There were a couple other deuces and an M927. Man those 927s are long in person! The way this weather is going, I just might pull it back out before winter. I am hoping to get my oil and trans fluid changed over Christmas break. Might tear into the rear seal as well.

Is it bad that all I want for Christmas from my family is oil and transmission fluid? :cool: Much better than socks and a couple shirts.
Switching over to Dex 3 in the transmission helps it shift a little smoother. I'm glad I did mine. I get my oil at the farm supply, Rotella 15w-40 heavy equipment oil. I just replaced all four batteries and added a block heater to the tructor. Its been two weeks since I last drove mine so its time to take out and put a few miles on it.

L1A1

I don't have a "big" truck but I have driven my WC51 toppless (& windshield down) which is how I've driven my various M151s around for years (weather permitting, of course). Lots of fun in that configuration. Always wore safety googles, though. I like the look of the 5 tons sans canvas & windshield folded. Thanks for posting those images.
Matt

commandojeff

Switching over to Dex 3 in the transmission helps it shift a little smoother. I'm glad I did mine. I get my oil at the farm supply, Rotella 15w-40 heavy equipment oil. I just replaced all four batteries and added a block heater to the tructor. Its been two weeks since I last drove mine so its time to take out and put a few miles on it.
I would like to put the Dex in it for the fact that it is actually ATF and not just oil. From what I have gathered, it was just easier for the military to be more standardized with their fluids. Not necessarily the better choice for the transmission though. They had the Rotella at our Walmart here in town on sale a couple weeks ago. It was the 5 gallon bucket. I should have jumped on it and got it then.

I took a plant tour of Enersys batteries here in warrensburg. They make pretty much every battery for the military. Crazy stuff. Sounds like you are ready for winter though.

emr

Many many times windshield down too, It is the absolute best, Into NYC windshield down thru the lincoln tunnel and thru the city is crazy too, Its Nov then also, In snow storms even top that , My M38 for 20 years never put the top on drove all year long , and yes in all my trucks windshield down in snow storms for about 25 years :) and still going, Last week 925 windshield down also , Guess Im saying every chance i get and then some, :) All good , I could never have a hard top because of that, I throw the top on pretty easy off and on my self in the 925 , done it so many times .

vtdeucedriver

Odds are high that he has the yellow headlights. That's where I sent my yellow headlights.
Haha, Yes at the time I had a pair of yellow ones installed but no not your set Kenny. Out of the 4 or so pairs I have, yours were the only ones with Douglas connectors so I still got em put away for my M-62.

Just before my M-127 recovery I went back to white ones on the tractor. Now that these fake and wrong color yellow ones are out, I only put the yellow ones on for special occasions.