• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving Deuce Home from GL

herrickd

Looking to purchase my first Deuce!

Is there any way I can drive the Deuce home from GL? It would be about a 200 mile drive. GL says it starts and runs...

How about gas mileage?

It is a M35A2 and the NSN is 2320000771616.

Sephirothq

Make sure that you have temp plates and insurance.
I have done this before, not quite 200 miles, more like 100. Take a look over the great pick up list. It helps to have a chase vehicle incase something does go wrong. Fuel mileage figure about 6 mpg this way you won't run out. Some can get as high as 8-10. But figure 6 for safety.

Chow717

the pick up list is great and a must read. I followed it closely and didn't have a problem during the 100+ mile drive home I had with my new duece. Ditto on the chase vehicle

datsunaholic

Also, just because it runs doesn't mean it's roadworthy. It might run just well enough to get it on a lowboy. Things like brakes, lights, etc may not work. Mine I drove home (10 miles) sans lights because the batteries were dead and the light switch was gone, but had a chase vehicle (neighbor in a tow truck).

Sephirothq

Your best bet is to preview the truck and you will know if it has brakes, good batteries, etc.

A preview can make a big difference in buying a good truck or a problem child.

bigelk50

I agree go take a day and preview the truck! It is time and money well spent. Check tires, fluids batteries, lights, breaks, steering, leaks etc. I drove home two trucks from gl.

One was 165 miles and the other was about 230 miles. I had no troubles with either of them. I did have to swap out a flat tire but that was it. I hope that you are, but you might get there and not be as lucky as I was! Good luck!! Looking forward to seeing some pics!!

Sephirothq

Make yourself an airhose that attaches to the emergency side of the glad hand. I found all the tires were low about 20-30 psi on every truck i have ever picked up. the onboard compressor will give you enough air to fill them up, it just takes a while. And don't skip those inner duals because it is difficult. there could be a problem later.

bigelk50

Make yourself an air hose that attaches to the emergency side of the glad hand. I found all the tires were low about 20-30 psi on every truck i have ever picked up. the on board compressor will give you enough air to fill them up, it just takes a while. And don't skip those inner duals because it is difficult. there could be a problem later.
It was my inner that was flat. Had I not taken the time to check it things would have been bad. Also to answer you other question about fuel millage... I used a half tank for the 165 miles. I always take ten gallons of fuel up just to make sure I make it off the base!

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked one up and drove it 976 miles home. I never saw it before my pickup date except in pics. All the tires were aired up. It needed a short boost to start. Had to force the last of the 10 gal. of fuel I brought with me to the tank as it had plenty in there already. I added 911 diesel conditioner. Had lots of paperwork in the cab and a complete -10 among 4 other TM's. I recommend changing the throttle return spring even if the one on the truck looks and performs ok. Mine seemed perfectly fine. It did break on the way home. Glad I bought a spare. I didn't use most of the stuff I took along but, was ready for most items. My experience would not be the norm for most. I know I was lucky.

Last edited:

mbarber84

Based on my recent recovery, BE PREPARED. Chase vehicle, extra help in the form of smart, reliable buddies, tools of every kind, extra fluids Coolant, Oil, DOT 5 SILICON brake fluid, a typical small bottle will fill the reservoir, but if the brakes seem mushy or are non existent (which is what happened to mine) you will need to bleed SEVERAL times, which may deplete the brake fluid. I would suggest at least 2 bottles to be on the safe side. Line wrenches are a handy asset if you have a set or can get them, I would suggest snugging all brake line fittings, and INSPECT INSPECT INSPECT, as I was first told here...."WHOA trumps GO any day" :) . If its cold in your area, you might want to think about heavy moving blankets, a turbo heater, and extra fuel. Use the turbo heater and blankets to trap a pocket of hot air under the hood if the truck is super cold and she cranks and wont start....then you use the blankets in the cab on the ride home!! Also would suggest buying the wiper upgrade kits (you need 2 per truck) and fixing them on the truck for the ride home in case you catch wet weather. Lastly...take bulbs...2 brand new 24v headlamps, and an assortment of the smaller 24v bulbs which are used for the 4 way flashers, turn signals, and brake lights.......wheeew im long winded....I`ll let the rest of the guys jump in for the other info....

BEST OF LUCK BE CAREFUL and HAVE FUN!!! Just so you know, a typical 200mi treck in the Deuce is around 5-6hrs haha...trust me on that one!

One more thing that seems to always get overlooked, and somthing I regretted NOT taking......

A WELL-STOCKED FIRST AID KIT!!! another lesson learned the hard way.....and yes I DID bleed green

Last edited:

Chevytruck

Don't always trust what they say

it was said as running when they checked it, after sitting for who knows what it might not even start now.

just my opinion :-D

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove my 1962 studebaker M35A1 600 miles from NC to Rockmart Ga but I took all the things on pick up list plus toebar and a truck I could pull it with just in case . after I got home I had to replace the turbo it started blowing oil just luck it did not go out till I got home.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As others have said, insurance and tags are a must. I would suggest you get it hauled. 200 miles at the current rates (no more than $2/mile) translates to about $400. That is small change for the peace of mind. If something goes wrong, you will have wished you got the truck hauled. Better to learn about the truck in your driveway than on the side of the road. I always factor shipping in when I bid. If that increases the cost out of my range, I don't bid. Anyway, that is my opinion... Good luck with your recovery.

m109guy

Deuces don't have cigarette lighters do they? I think I'll have to rig something up to power the gps when I drive mine home. :lol:
Nope sadly, they do not have them due to the 24v system. Most GPS units do have an internal battery, so if you are not going too far (say an hour away) the internal battery should be good to get you to where you are going.

I fixed that problem a few weeks ago with a 24v-12v converter, a few holes in the dash and some 12v sockets. I also installed a switch to turn on the converter and an LED to make sure it was working. Now I can power my GPS and keep the cell phone charged at the same time.

Last edited:

m109guy

I didn't know deuces were exclusively 24 volt. I figured they were like the CUCVs. Where did you get that converter?
Actually pretty much all military equipment is 24v, I don't know too much about the CUCV's, but I would guess they are somewhat different because they are a military version of a civilian vehicle. Everything on the deuce is 24v (starter, generator, lights, etc). If you want 12v you either go connect up some wires to just one of the batteries, or get a 24v-12v converter.

You can pickup the 24v-12v converters in many places. I know there is one member of SS who is selling some (don't remember his name). Ebay is another good place to look as well. I got mine locally.

If you don't know too much about the deuce, it would probably be a good idea to read up about them before picking one up. It's much different than a CUCV, and you wouldn't want to get stuck somewhere without knowing the correct info :D