• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving down the road and..

Smokingman

M1009

I heard two very short ping ping sounds,then nothing abnormal.Thought I may have a little bit of unusual vibration as I continued.

I left the truck running and got out to investigate.There was a decent wobble in the harmonic balancer(not horrible,but enough).Finished driving it home.Taking a closer look I could see a shinny ring around roughly 1/3 of the balancer.

Took it to a friends shop.We pulled it.Sure enough it had rotated a good 1/4 of a turn.Went to install the new one.And ran into a snag.Had no bolt that would fit.We ended up ordering a one meter bar of allthread and nuts from Fastenall. Cut it down and used the stock washer and a piece of all thread.

Just an FYI there was a post earlier about using the puller from O'reilly.It is a standard thread,though very close.I would not use it unless you want to mess up the threads on the end of your crank.

She is back on the road none the worse for wear :beer:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
might want to check the hardness of the all thread, the snot bolt is grade 8

K9Vic

Fastenall does sell the right grade 8 bolts M16, but I do not think they sell a bolt that is the exact right length. When I made my installer tool they told me they did not have a bolt the same length. I was going to put a new bolt on, but since they did not have it I used the old one.

Any one installing the balancer should read this article and make the special tool.
http://www.fluidampr.com/IMAGES/Fluidamper Critical Speeds.pdf

Attachments

Smokingman

Just to clarify. The reason a bolt was needed was to install the new harmonic balancer. I still had the factory bolt.So we cut off a section of the all thread in a length long enough to install the balancer.Used the all thread to seat the balancer,then installed the original bolt.

Smokingman

Fastenall does sell the right grade 8 bolts M16, but I do not think they sell a bolt that is the exact right length. When I made my installer tool they told me they did not have a bolt the same length. I was going to put a new bolt on, but since they did not have it I used the old one.

Any one installing the balancer should read this article and make the special tool.
http://www.fluidampr.com/IMAGES/Fluidamper%20Critical%20Speeds.pdf
The install tool is what we made with the all thread.Though much simpler than the one you posted from fluidampr. Ours used the correct thread all the way through the tool and was one piece,factory washer,and a bolt from fastenall.Cut the all thread to the length we needed,ground the thread to fit a wrench,and ground the thread to where it would start correctly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks