• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

driving in water

JoeD

I'm a newbe and do not have my deuce yet but I have read on the site that if you drive through deep water it gets in the axles/differential/brakes and you have to change out the gear oil. I understand about the brakes but how does it get in the axles/differential?

DieselBob

For some strange reason they mounted the axle breather right on top of the axle housing. Because of this location if you drive in water that covers the axle housing it will enter into the housing. I am relocating mine to the frame rail. Easy to do with a couple fittings and hose from the local hardware store.

ida34

The vents were designed as one way valves. They are supposed to let out air when the stuff heats up but not let stuff like water in. Most leaking axles are the result of the vent getting stuck in the closed position. It' natural position is closed so they sometimes get stuck closed. This makes the axle vent out the seals and when it does so it damages the seal enough to allow the gear oil out. That being said most all the military manuals require at the least a bearing repack after fording operations.

jwaller

if you drive in water that covers the axle housing it will enter into the housing.
this is entirely not true. the vents are not vents, they are valves. they only open when they see pressure inside the housing, then they open to vent that pressure and then close again.

moving them higher wont hurt anything but it's not required. water enters the decue in lots of places it shouldn't because of poor maintenance.

The mil spec deepwater kit does nothing to address the axles. they felt the original design was just fine. the kit adds a lot of things like intake snorkel and pressure to the trans and bellhousing but not the axle.

FWIW the xcase is vented like the axles.

Keith_J

Like jwaller stated, the vents are check valves. When these trucks are operated on highway, the differentials heat, causing the air inside to expand. The breathers keep pressure to a minimum, venting. When a hot axle is submerged, it is suddenly cooled. But since some air was expelled when heated, the pressure in the axles drops. This overwhelms the seals and water enters the bearings from the inner axle seals and also from pinion seals, if you go deep enough.

Yes, the clutch and transmission are pressurized with the deep water fording kit to keep water out. This could be done with the axles BUT it might cause gear oil to bypass the outer wheel bearing seal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks