• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving issue...bogging down and dying

paladin1176

Let me chronicle my problem, (a bit long but helps explain the issue) what I have already replaced and what I am working on. To start with I have a matched set of 1984 blazers...one is a military version (jerk previous owner painted it and tore it up) and one is a fully loaded civilian model 6.2l bought by my grandfather in Fairbanks, Alaska brand new in 1984.

So cruising down the road in my CUCV daily driver at the end of summer I started getting a lot of smoke and power issues. For preventive maintenance I replaced all the filters, diesel Kleened the lines, replaced the injectors, injector pump, CDR assembly, glow plugs, glow plug relay, and the mechanical lift pump. After driving on 30 year old parts this thing ran like a true beast...until last week.

Now when I am cruising down the road I start noticing I have no power and no acceleration. A few seconds later the motor cuts out. I can put it neutral and fire it back up and the motor idles fine, but still gutless when I hit the pedal. I am working on doing the FM100 fuel filter replacement because it appears that my housing has a slight leak and wets up the lines under the base (and hopefully fix the hard start issue).

All that being said, I am hoping that replacing the filter housing with a much better and non leaking version fixes all problems. If I am missing something or there is something I need to check or replace...I would greatly appreciate it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other item to check is the sock on the pickup tube in the tank. They are known to collapse and plug the fuel pickup.

As a test you can remove the fuel line at the lift pump and blow air back into the tank. (remove the fuel cap first)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would also be worth checking fuel pressure at the filter. Their may be an issue with the lift pump.

paladin1176

It would also be worth checking fuel pressure at the filter. Their may be an issue with the lift pump.
Even though it was put on last year and I have about 5K miles on it? I figured the mechanical ones wear the most bullet proof until they got age on them and the diaphragm started to wear out.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the quality of todays parts, I wouldn't trust anything to last.

Barrman

Is the lift pump the $50.00 Delco or one of the $20 things the local stores sell? If it isn't the Delco, that probably is your problem. Even the Delco versions aren't bullet proof though. Just bullet resistant compared to the others.

paladin1176

The one NAPA sells, about 25 bucks with my discount. This of course could seal the deal with me doing a complete conversion to an electric lift pump next to the tank if it is the problem. 30years for the first pump...30weeks for the second.

nyoffroad

Even though it was put on last year and I have about 5K miles on it? I figured the mechanical ones wear the most bullet proof until they got age on them and the diaphragm started to wear out.
I tried useing the cheap Auto zone and Advance fuel pumps, I thought they were a good deal because of cost and lifetime replacement. They ARE JUNK!! I don't think I or my son ever got much more than a year out of them. Not saying your problem is the pump BUT if it is go the few extra bucks for AC/DELCO or NAPA.

paladin1176

New filter housing and filters came in - big thanks to GimpyRobb for the quick turn around. Quick question before I start working on lining things up.

Ports are listed as 1-2-3-4 with 2 and 3 being against the fire wall. However it does not list which ones need to be input and which need to be output. My guess is that 2 and 3 are for input and 1-4 are four outlet based on the pass through channels, but I would really like to get that squared away BEFORE I suck the guts out of my new filter.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a little arrow cast into the housing very close to the edge. I don't have one to look at here at work. If memory serves me correct, the rear lines (Closest to the mounting boss) are inputs and the front ones are discharge.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The filter setup from Gimp is cheap. How to make it work will cost you. ;-)

paladin1176

I see em now. Didn't really stick out much because they are right under the port and the same color as the housing. Headed to the hardware store tomorrow to find a decent 0-15 PSI gauge and I am off to the races!
Oh yeah...and a truck load of fuel line.
And new hose clamps.

This list is getting longer...