• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving the 8x8

dma251

Nice looking truck! It sure is fun to get these labors of love on the move, isn't it? I know I was grinning ear to ear when I started driving mine after all winter of work. I'm sure you're in the same spot.

Congrats!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember how it looked in the fall of 2006. Great work! >2 years of work finally coming to fruition.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice 8x8 - glad it's finally all come together, it's been a long time coming. Since it's such a rare beast, I bet you've had to learn about EVERYTHING mechanical on it, just to have it as reference in case a part had to be fixed/rebuilt/etc.

What's the next project? ;)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
maddawg308 said:
What's the next project? ;)
Well, Mike, this one is far from finished, I'm only gaining confidence driving it now.
Things to finish:
1) One leaky thru axle seal
2) Second fuel tank installation with valves
3) Coolant heater installation
4) Winch check-out
5) Back-up light
6) Locating more tires
7) Fixing speedometer
8) Dimmer for LED instrument back lighting
9) Trailer hoses and couplings
10) Exhaust extension for the gen set

The list goes on, but meanwhile, I'm looking to get parts, so that I can turn this one into a cargo variant when needed, bed mounts are universal, so I guess that's my next project. Buying a complete M656 (the cargo version) is not within my budget at the moment.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you got to try out the transmission brake? I may be mistaken, but didn't you say it had some kind of paddles in the fluid to reduce speed?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, the hydraulic retarder is built into the transmission, but was never used by the military. It is supposed to be as effective or more so than a "jake brake", but noiseless.
It is very simple to hook up and Ford (as far as I know from reading early notes about the truck) may have dimpled the cab for the installation of an operating lever. Dimpled, as in marked hole locations for drilling as was done for the coolant heater for example.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
The list goes on, but meanwhile, I'm looking to get parts, so that I can turn this one into a cargo variant when needed, bed mounts are universal, so I guess that's my next project. Buying a complete M656 (the cargo version) is not within my budget at the moment.
Ha ha - I remember Aberdeen 2005 there was a man selling a M656/757 with the expandable van body for $4000 but he wanted to keep the tires for that price. For $8000 you can have it WITH the tires! Bet you'll never hear a used car salesman say that: "Well, we got a deal on this car, but you'll have to take it without the tires."

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was Tom Bauer (m35tom). He had an xm757 which he turned into an xm791 sort of.
The tires were not like the originals, but very costly nevertheless...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday, during Eric (doghead) and Amy's visit, we drove the 757 around in the same field again. The truck ran beautifully. Not even Amy thought that it was very noisy and Eric noted a turbo boost of 15 psi at one point, no real load, just accelerating in the field. It shifted very smoothly. Going up a small incline, it shifted into 2nd, with a boost of 6 psi and the EGT at 900 degrees.
The axle seal that I got from a spare axle is doing its job, no more gear oil thrown about.

Have not tested the retarder yet, but it does engine brake nicely going down hill by keeping the (auto) transmission in 1-2 gear range.
Amy did get a video of the driving, so we'll wait for their take on the experience...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure why that truck did not catch on with the military. From all reports, it seems to have been a great truck off-road. Bjorn, you have done a great job...but, knowing you, I would not have expected anything less!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce, what can I say, but thank you for those words? You should have seen Eric's big smile after his first circle around the field! Hope more of you will have a chance to drive it.