• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

driving w/no alternator

truck0590

Okay, I need to get a M1008 home. I've had it running, but it is missing the 2 alternators and the wires have been cut instead of just disconnected.

Is there anything that requires juice, that would prevent me from driving it home (40 miles) on 2 new batteries during the day?

Truck

mangus580

The injection pump requires voltage to keep you running. You will have brake lights drawing juice too.

My concern isnt your batteries so much as how are you going to keep the water pump and power steering pump spinning?

Crash_AF

It should make it just fine. Just make sure that the power steering belt is there and tight and that will keep it cool. I ran mine for about an hour at idle with no problems on just the batteries.

Since it was missing parts, make sure that all the fluids are there. That includes diffs and PS pump. On my residue trucks, the unit punched holes in the transmission pan and PS reservoir to drain them before turning them in to DRMO.

Later,
Joe

ultim8gamr

I lost the belts on both alternators and was able to drive home... twice.. the one belt will get you home. a little squeak from it since there was no alt belt for support but it works. I went a week and a half of driving on only one alt charging (so a week and a half of cranking power). if its just the alternator wires that were cut to charge the batteries you should be ok with two fresh batts.

amanco

I know it is a totaly different system, but before I replaced the dead generator on my M37, I could easily run it 150 miles before re-charging the batteries with a charger.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about the water pump as Mike mentioned? I lost the alternator belt on a deuce while driving it without my knowing it and the temperature shot up rapidly. That was the only tip that something was amiss. Needless to say that my trip was cut short until I found a NAPA to replace the belts.

Blake

belts

There are (3) belts on a CUCV.
Engine to alternator
Engine, water pump, alternator
Engine, water pump, power steering.

The cucv has a small belt that runs the engine, water pump, and power steering belt. Both alternator belts could break and you would still have water pump and power steering (just no charging).

truck0590

RE: belts

I could even throw an alt on with a belt and not hook it up, so I have 2 belts spinning. I just don't want to take the time to splice in the connections. I'd rather have it at the house and do it right. I may even have an extra harness I could just replace it with, I have to look. I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.

Truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks