• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving with lockers

Andrmorr

Can anyone give a comparison of driving with lockers vs without?
I've never had the opportunity to push the traction limits of a 5 ton so what would the non-locker 5 ton experience be vs the detroit locker setup. Would the locker limit you in any way like driving on pavement etc...How does the detroit locker system compare to the ARB type in capability...

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With ARB unlocked you grass will thank you and hate you with the no-spin. I have the no-spin Detroit in all my USMC dumps and have put them in two 5 ton bobers in the rear. I can make eather a start or a rolling turn under power and the correct side unlocks as it should. Since the truck is loud and heavy I do not feel the reingagement or hear the ratchting. Yes I try to roll through a turn if I have my speed up without adding power but this can not allways be done. Sometimes you have to start from a stop and make a right angle turn like a light or a stop sign. As said when working correctely it will unlock and ratchet. I have not noticed any extra tire scrub but I realy have not looked but you would think it would have to scrub a little just before unlock. With ARB you would not need to have front locking hubs.

I will say this if you are a tandem 6X6 and your not going to do some heavy mud pitting or offroading then to me both lockers are a waist. Keep the tandem truck level and you will cross most small problems.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All things equal, two vehicles, one with, one without, Lockers are great. They will allow you to pull hills with minimum traction, where others slide off backwards. My old road tractor (avatar) had them in both rears. Even with an inter axle differential, when in parking lots/tight corners, it would lurch, clang & bang. I just smiled because of the great positive difference it made, Tire wear, while there must be more, was not measurable. As above, depends if you need them - I did, and they paid off. If you chain up, you'll make it too. In the end, chains are better, but many are allergic to them.

Andrmorr

I will say this if you are a tandem 6X6 and your not going to do some heavy mud pitting or offroading then to me both lockers are a waste.
Would installing a locker in just one rear axle on a 5 Ton be a compromise of added traction if/when needed without the full hassle of both locking...if so, which axle (1st/2nd) would be the best choice?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks