• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

driving with one rear axle

I won a deuce on GL with the rear-most axle broken. After I get it off of the lot, if I take off the rear axle and drive shaft between the axles, can I at least tow, if not drive the deuce unloaded?

I won a 2nd deuce at the same location that appears to be in great shape, and that might end up being a tow vehicle. 530 miles away from home, you can certainly call me crazy for even thinking I could try this ;-)

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
broken??? like one drive axle or damage to the center chunk... worst case .. pull the main drive axle coming from the forward rear end and pull both drive axles . stuff with a rag and duck tape it up.. just keep a eye on it and check from time to time and you should be good to go

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is broke on the axle? If tires can roll, pull axle shafts and rear drive shaft. You can't remove the axle, it is hooked to the other axle and shares the suspension. Other option is to chain it up to the frame.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend trailering that one. You would have to chain up the spring on the broken side, chain the other half of the axle up, remove the outer broken part, plug the brake line, and remove the rear driveshaft. And the chain between the axle and frame would have to be done right, if it failed I'm thinking a wreck would happen.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would seriously trailer that. I mean seriously.

Everything that Stretch said..... plus, why did it fail? I assume a torque rod ("dogbone") failed?

Who knows what else in that rear suspension system is compromised.

mckeeranger

I would have to vote with Stretch and Clinto on this. I would trailer it.

Chaining up a damaged axle to get off the road, or out of a bad situation is one thing, but moving a truck 530 miles is totally different, in my view. Flat towing should only be for vehicles with solid suspensions.

On the other truck: Where are they located? Perhaps you can get someone local to go check it out for you, so you will know what to expect when you go to pick it up.

midcounty

Definitely trailer that one. I looked at it on GL, and it appeared to have been rear ended by something really hard. Besides axle housing damage there could be other stuff broken or weakened that could cause a bad situation if towed.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it would be better to get that one on a trailer for the ride home to be safe..just think of a part coming off and landing in a passing car full of people.. im sure you can get someone with a trailer or a company that would be too much... another thought would be getting out of the place and to the nearest shop.. bring another rear end and do a swap.. that might not be as costly as a transport service. being safe at any cost is the best way

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since you have two at the same place I would find someone with a step deck trailer to haul them both home.

PCTrans is a member here and is a good guy...he could prob do the job for less than it might end up costing you if you tried the recovery yourself and it went bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks