• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

driving without doors?

badga the badger

has anyone driven without doors or with metel tubing/bar doors in their deuce? its too hot down here and we are trying to find any ways to get more air. the avarge temp in the day is 98-102f so the windshield open just wont do. we also thought this would be cool addition. has anyone had any trouble with this or even tryed this?

scoutmanadam

there's nothing wrong with it legal wise, since the mirrors are on the cab. at least here is Washington, as long as you have two mirrors, it doesn't matter if the doors are on or off. i havnt done it in my deuce, but in my scouts i always ran door less.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've done it. It takes some getting used to, just feels weird, but I've done it. Just like the jeeps do.

Armada

I like driving with the doors off when it's hot. They are heavy though, so it's not something you want to be taking on and off often. Remove the doors and put the door pins (bolts) back in to hold the mirrors in place.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see UPS truck drivers all the time with no doors on their step vans. If it's legal for them, it's legal for you. Just wear a seat belt so you don't hit a pothole and fall out of the cab.

Hooty481

Ive had the doors off up here in kentucky since the first of june and i will probably keep them off till late fall or until its starts cooling up. It feels awsome especially setting that high off the ground

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure your seat belt are in working order.
We had an M35 when I was in the Army that had no doors. It was a parts truck that someone got running and the doors and a lot of other stuff had been robbed. I never drove it, but I rode in it once. No seat belts and it felt like you were about to fall out everytime you went around a curve. It would probably have been better to hang on the steering wheel. I know they were always in trouble for driving it without doors.

A

A/C Cages

Just remember that eveyone can see you,, so no more driving around in your undies....lol

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
when i pulle dmy steering box to put bushings in, i didnt re seal around the firewall where the column goes up in. i get a lot of hot air blowing into the cab from there. just something to think about.

what works good for me to keep cool is, roll the windows up and open the windshield. i read it where a guy on here did it, so i tried it and it works great. blows all the hot air down. my soft top looks like a baloon in the back, but works real good just cruzin down the road.... slower speeds i could see where doorless might be nice. i've never done that though.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wear your seatbelts if your truck has 'em. If nothing else, a LEO will be able to clearly see if you are or or not secured in the vehicle.

For better ventiliation through the open windshields, DO NOT open them all the way. The incoming wind will not be accelerated to any speed greater than the vehicle is traveling. Instead, open them about 3 inches at the bottom. Doing so forces the entering air to speed up as it's forced through the narrower opening, thus adding velocity AND turbulance to your ventiliation. The end result is that you will "FEEL" cooler.

Temps here in San Angelo have been 100+ and as much as 111F. The breeze feels GREAT, and thankfully we have no real traffic jams to linger in. As long as you're moving, the incoming air will help.

IMHO:jumpin::driver:
John

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Topless ?? Whats involved w/taking the top off and stowing it behind you ?? What about top off and windshield folded down w/goggles ??
Going TOPLESS is easy!

"It's so easy even a CAVE MAN can do it."

I pulled our Soft Top off on the side of the road the first time I drove it in this year's extreme heat. I was 10 miles out on a 40 mile trip and the dust from the dried out insulation was nasty. Removing the top was a quick 8-10 minute task. I've kept the top off ever since, but will replace it when the weather changes.

As for putting the windshield down - See my post above - I have kept the windshield UP but opened slightly and it works GREAT !

:jumpin::driver:

dstang97

One thing you got to think about is I think you need to have a 4 or 5 inch lip like the jeeps have. I think this is so nothing can fall out the side when you take corners. I highly doubt anyone would stop you. Just be smart about it and keep things tied down, have mirrors and wear your seat belt.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing you got to think about is I think you need to have a 4 or 5 inch lip like the jeeps have. I think this is so nothing can fall out the side when you take corners. I highly doubt anyone would stop you. Just be smart about it and keep things tied down, have mirrors and wear your seat belt.
Sir,
You seem unfamiliar with the cab structure of a Deuce... Please look closely at the Door-Less Deuce pics earlier in this thread and you will see that this is NOT a problem.

IMHO

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks