• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drop Down Hitch

remj540

I would like to tow my utility trailer using my 35A2 Deuce but (1) the trailer is much lower than the Deuce's pintle hitch and (2) the trailer has a 2 inch ball receiver.

I know I could make/weld a drop down hitch so they would be at the same level but I'm towing 5000 plus pounds and I'd prefer to go with a tested hitch because if something goes wrong it would be catastrophic. Does anyone know of a supplier of premade drop down hitches for Deuces?

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge!!

Rob

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bolt on a reciever. that`s the easiest way. Heres mine if I can find the pics. Well I found them but they wouldn`t load. I`ll try again later.

rlwm211

I bolted a class four receiver to the frame rails of my deuce and use a 6 inch drop hitch to tow my comm trailer. I do not worry too much about the 6 inch drop hitch and receiver because I am not planning on hauling anything over about 3500# behind my deuce on this setup. I did use grade 8 bolts and torqued them properly. I have used this for 1-1/2 years without issue. I installed a set of 24 volt taillights on the trailer and used a pigtail from an M105 to connect them as I also haul this trailer with my Suburban which is 12 voltts. Two separate light systems seemed the easiest way to go.

RL​

datsunaholic

I took my Deuce to the local Draw-tite dealer and they built a 12,000 lb rated receiver on the spot. In fact, they said I wasn't the first guy to bring one in for that. I don't weld, and sitting under the truck drilling holes in the frame for hours with an electric drill didn't appeal to me (I did that with my F250... never again). I've towed my 20' equipment trailer no problem, for lights I just bought a set of magnetic tow lights, but 24V bulbs in 'em, and wired them to a standard military pigtail.

rlwm211

I am not sure where the "Hours drilling holes in my frame" notion has come from. I drilled the 6-1/2" holes in my frame in about 10 minutes. I predrilled the receiver and adapters I had to fab up and had it installed in less than an hour.

I have spent untold years drilling steel, stainless, and other materials in the business we had and found the deuce frame to be pretty soft actually.

The 1989 Ford P/U I installed a cat 4 receiver on had a much harder steel frame to be honest. The older steel is thicker, somewhat softer and uses mass to achieve strength as opposed to the spring like steel the new truck frames are made of.

Just my two cents

RL

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure where the "Hours drilling holes in my frame" notion has come from. I drilled the 6-1/2" holes in my frame in about 10 minutes. I predrilled the receiver and adapters I had to fab up and had it installed in less than an hour.

I have spent untold years drilling steel, stainless, and other materials in the business we had and found the deuce frame to be pretty soft actually.

The 1989 Ford P/U I installed a cat 4 receiver on had a much harder steel frame to be honest. The older steel is thicker, somewhat softer and uses mass to achieve strength as opposed to the spring like steel the new truck frames are made of.

Just my two cents

RL
I had my 13 year old helper drill the six holes in my deuce frame with a cordless drill (2 batteries) in about 10-15 minutes. If you use quality bits, you won't have any problems.

datsunaholic

Well, after spending about an hour to drill the 6 holes in my F250 frame, I didn't think doing the same on the Deuce frame would be much fun. I don't have teenage helpers, I'm all by myself out here. I think the fact that I was lying on a gravel driveway when doing said drilling may have something to do with it. Generally I'd look for less expensive options, but I was in a time crunch, I needed the hitch pretty much right away, as my F250 was no longer reliable. For $300 and they did all the work, with a hitch that fits perfectly seemed reasonable.

kubota_247

I don't mind the drilling part too much, I just don't like that hot shrapnel making it's home real close to my skin. Especially if I'm a receptive position.

rlwm211

It kind of does not matter how you do it. We all take the course through our work as we can, with the tools and abilities and willingness to do the work required. As long as we get done what we want done, that is all that matters.

To quote a very respected friend of mine:

"It's all Good!"

RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks