• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

dropping front drive shaft for a road trip.

bradmachine

Am getting ready to move my m818 300 plus miles over the interstate....don't need 6 wheel drive....will it hurt the sprague unit to drop the drive shaft to the front axle and let it free wheel down the interstate.....also drive shaft to the rear axle....don't need it either....would reduce wear..??....any prioblems doing that....???????/

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mabye you could cap off the air to the valve on the top of the tranny? It engages the sprag when shifting from forward to reverse.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M211 had spragues. I'm familiar with it & not the above. BUT - if they operate the same way...... The way the 211 worked is that the front axle only started driving, when the rear axles started going faster, then the front axle was going! Then & only then, did the spragues lock in. My opinion is, why bother. That whole front end was designed to take the same wear & tear, the rest of the truck can take, and you will notice no difference going down the road, nor will there be a measureable difference in fuel consumption! I went through all that stuff already, starting some 40 years ago! Made axle covers by cutting the axle shaft off the flanges, etc.

But if you have disposable time & it makes you happy - go for it!

Lee in Alaska

bradmachine

my reason for removing the front drive shaft was to save wear and tear and reduce the chance of a breakdown, like loosing a front driveshaft...this is the first trip for this truck. and by dropping the rear driveshaft I would reduce the wear back there since there is no power divider between the rear differentials....and one less drive shaft to have trouble with..???.....may just drive it the way it is.....???????...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks