• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drove the Deuce...Some questions

Woodsplinter

The only thing I might add would be to drain the oil out of the steering box and refill with new. A gummed up steering box can add to the difficulty in steering.

Don't mean to take over thread, but could somebody with front lockout hubs comment further about the benefits such as easier steering, turning, etc?

Do they make a big enough difference to justify the cost?

Last edited:

rolling18

The spring is called a mustache spring and most if not all venders seem to carry them. My truck seems to go throughout those quit often. I removed the spacer washers on the studs and use 2 springs. They seems to last longer that way. Also check your manual for adjustment. The outer shoe should also have a tension spring connected to the top of the shoe. My spring is missing and I've tried several time to add one, but have not been successful.
This Tention spring is what WAS responsible for my "jingling noise" the cause was the extra looseness was contacting the park brake drum while driving like a "bell" and the rate of jingling would change based on speed.

to test: try very lightly "tapping" on the parking brake drum with a light metal object and see if the "tone" is similar to what your hear while driving..

IF it is you will have to tighten the nut and lock nut downward toward the drum (its like an upside down bolt where the head contacts the park brake shoe. and has another nut to lock it in place

you need short handle wrenches, have to work by feel, i could not really see mine..

This cured the jingling noise i was getting.

I also had a broken "moustache spring"
when the park brake assembly is out of adjustment, it slides a micro amount in and out of the drum.
the drum edge gradually touches the spring eventually cutting it ( I have replaced the park brake assembly and VEry familiar with it.)
as well as removed the shoes.

I hope some of this drivel is useful to you! I'm not great at explaining procedures .. or spelling.

rolling18

The only thing I might add would be to drain the oil out of the steering box and refill with new. A gummed up steering box can add to the difficulty in steering.

Don't mean to take over thread, but could somebody with front lockout hubs comment further about the benefits such as easier steering, turning, etc?

Do they make a big enough difference to justify the cost?
I really like my AVM hubs, slightly less stress on the air steer system, and front drive line parts. VERY easy to install 15 mins or so, depending on how easy your bolts are to remove.

another small bonus if you ever want to remove them to easily re-sell you get most of your $500 back!

acesneights1

It's not the ebrake. I had already completely removed it. I'm running 9.00-20 NDT's that appear to be in decent condition although I do notice the fronts are cupped.

On a side note I had expected this thing to be a gutless dog. It actually pulls quite good for the measly 134 HP it is. I was quite surprised. Even climbing hills. Granted it's empty.
It is a blast to drive. Mostly thumbs up and good looks. When I stopped for fuel I had one jerkoff say "Out hillbillying it ?" I wanted to punch him in the face but I had the wife and kid. What an *******. But I do love driving it around.

Last edited:

rustystud

The clanking could be your ebrake if its flopping it will sound like that and yes lockouts make a world of difference in steering and driveline noise. I have 14.00 20 tires and they are easy to steer. I recommend the Ouverson hubs USA made and heavy duty. Checkout gringletaubes write up on Ouverson vs AVM hubs you ll see why.
What he just said ! Ouverson is the best, and when I can scrape together the money I'll be buying them myself.

acesneights1

Got another question...Has anyone ever spilled oil on the paint or gotten their greasy handprints on the CARC paint ? I cannot remove the stains. Any ideas ??

Yes I have a bobber with no power steering and 14.00 20 tires and a bad elbow. I can steer it easier less noise in cab from front drive line less wear on tires and better throttle response. I drove her today and only needed one hand unless turning still stiff at a stop steering but it feels easier AVM and Mile Marker are inferior as far as quality and customer service or lack there of Mile Marker has looks but for 1k they can keep that over seas stuff and the AVMs look at the back of the flange where your hub bolts go in between each bolt hole its hollow and not a solid flange thin pot metal. Im sorry I wont buy foreign goods if a good US company makes it for less or not much more than a foreign company just my humble opinion.

Woodsplinter

Yes I have a bobber with no power steering and 14.00 20 tires and a bad elbow. I can steer it easier less noise in cab from front drive line less wear on tires and better throttle response. I drove her today and only needed one hand unless turning still stiff at a stop steering but it feels easier AVM and Mile Marker are inferior as far as quality and customer service or lack there of Mile Marker has looks but for 1k they can keep that over seas stuff and the AVMs look at the back of the flange where your hub bolts go in between each bolt hole its hollow and not a solid flange thin pot metal. Im sorry I wont buy foreign goods if a good US company makes it for less or not much more than a foreign company just my humble opinion.
So, what kind do you have?

Woodsplinter

The spring is called a mustache spring and most if not all venders seem to carry them. My truck seems to go throughout those quit often. I removed the spacer washers on the studs and use 2 springs. They seems to last longer that way. Also check your manual for adjustment. The outer shoe should also have a tension spring connected to the top of the shoe. My spring is missing and I've tried several time to add one, but have not been successful.
Is this the one you're talking about?

Attachments

two.fiveM35

I'm talking about spring #6 in the picture, if I can attach the picture. The spring attaches to the top of the shoe. There are springs available, but they were thinner than OEM and I was not able to get it hooked into the eyelet on the shoe.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks