• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drycleaning solvent

Crazyguypa

TM 9-2320-361-20 calls for using "drycleaning solvent" for cleaning brake drum and hub parts as well as cleaning out the bleeder valves for the transfer cases and the differentials. What exactly is "drycleaning solvent"? is it brake cleaner?

Michael

And it is what used to be brake cleaner. What they sell for brake cleaner now is something else, something "safer". If you look hard enough you can still find the old stuff.

Jake0147

Any civilian reference to using this is A, usually at least thirty years old, and B, by extrapolation when anything is available to work with, it usually seems to be referring more specifically to stoddard solvent or white spirits, which google likes a lot better than dry cleaning solvent. Without guessing at what other operations this solvent was recommended for, I'l say that for the two items you mention, virtually any parts washer solvent including carburetor cleaner or brake parts cleaner would do just fine. Just keep the carb cleaner and any cleaner that isn't fully "dry" (meaning it leaves zero residue after evaporation) off of the brake linings and friction face of the drum.

Jones

My MSDS library ID's "drycleaning solvent" as 1,1,1-Trichloroethane; Hazard class 6.1, UN/NA UN2831.
Pretty nasty stuff. It's an organic solvent that attacks ALL oils, greases, and fats-- including those in your skin. Direct contact with the liquid isn't necessary as you can even feel the fumes working on your hide if you put your hand in below the rim of a bucket that has this stuff in it.
"Chemical-resistant" gloves don't even stand up against it for long; they swell up, get real slippery-- making parts hard to hold onto, then start to split and leak. Exposed to "Tric" long enough, chemical-resistant gloves end up with the strength and consistancy of a soggy soda cracker.
Because of it's efficiency and aggressive behavior as a solvent; 1,1,1-Trichloroethane replaced carbon tetrachloride when carbon tet was banned.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since we are on this subject, I have a question. My biodiesel operation has been shut down due to a lack of oil. I have about 4 gallons of methanol left. Can I use this as a brakleen of sorts? It's pretty stout and evaporates quickly. I have the squirt cans that you charge with shop air. Any thoughts?

Jones

Should work OK, Kenny; although it won't be as agressive a cleaner as Brake-Kleen and may leave a light film residue.
For testing purposes, take a piece of glass and put a little oil or grease on the surface; then clean the glass with the methanol-- streaking means it may have a tendency to leave a film that'll need to be wiped clean in certain instances.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, keep in mind that methanol is a poison, some people may even have a reaction from skin contact and don't ingest it! Keep it away from your kids!!!
It is an excellent cleaner, just finished a couple of old "scraper" type primary fuel filters, it took the old gummed up fuel residue right off.
If nothing else, pour it in your gas fuel tank, works better than ethanol. :)

The drycleaning solvent we used to use in electronics was trychlorethylene, very potent...

sprucemt

Dry Cleaning Solvent
NATO # S-753
NSN 6850-00-110-4498, 1 pint
P-D-680-08 ADM 2 Type 2
DOM 12\91
Tulstar Products inc
DLA 400--91-C-0811

Petroleum Naptha
UN 1255
Flash Point 140F

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks