• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DT466 International swaps

MartinB

Has anyone considered swapping in a DT 466 International medioum duty truck engine? They are about the same cubic inches, build a lot of torque and can put out up to 350 horsepower in stock configuration. Plus, they have been around since at least 1984 so there should be good availability.

DUECE-COUPE

are you going to use the auto trans too. if so then i think you might have something there. would work well in a bob tail and then you can go muddin and power right on through the muck.:razz:

beaubeau

I pulled a Cat 3116 out of my GMC Top Kick and replaced it with a DT360 with Little problems. Had to cut Fan Bushing short by 3 ins.,different Clutch and Preassure plate., No intercooler, and it goes well!! Super good on fuel, and Smouth running engine!

joec

I drove a six wheeler in the early eighties the DT 466 is a pooch no low end torque only time that engine has power is when its wound up.The 3208 and 1160 cat V8s would drive through anything off road not the DT.If you want to stay on the road they work pretty good but they vibrate sitting so bad while idling you could watch the screws back out of the headliner in the international S series I was driving while getting loaded or waiting for a light..

I would disagree. Problem was they had the truck had a early DT466 in it. It will make 300hp easy If it's a later engine mid to late 90's. They are a good engine. We took out the 3208 my friend had in his Truck Put the DT466 in. Had to modify radiator and some other fun stuff. It now has a Allison trans in it. For no power and weighing 23,000lb+ it will black track through a intersection. Until it get's wheel hop.

It's your choice but i would use the DT466. There are other options out there. Just my 2cents...!

Joe C

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

Actually, they've been in trucks since 77, and in tractors since 75. True, a stock 466 may seem a little doggy, but once you play with the pump, or replace the pump with a better one, it'll be a screamer. I talked with a sled pulling supplier Hypermax, and he told me that you can make almost 600hp on the stock injectors. Also said, "1000hp for 10 grand". Basically, it's the pump that's holding it back. The stock bottom end can hold up to 4500rpm too.
It's my engine of choice. Afterall, I'm putting one in my 99 Super Duty.

Last edited:

jfnemt1ff1

Good info at the right, the 2 1/2 ton expando van needs to have the gas motor replaced. And I was thinking what to do. I think I have my answer. Has anyone ever tried to place an inter cooler in the 2 1/2
John

joec

Good info at the right, the 2 1/2 ton expando van needs to have the gas motor replaced. And I was thinking what to do. I think I have my answer. Has anyone ever tried to place an inter cooler in the 2 1/2
John

You would have to do the same thing that was done with the M35A3. EXTEND THE NOSE ABOUT 4". A3's have a intercooler on the Cat's 3116.

You can probably get a intercooler from a super duty 6.0 03/07 to work in the front.

Joe C

jatonka

The DT-466 was first used in International Dozers and track loaders in the 60's. I have run them for many years and my huble opinion says there is nothing like them any where. I now have a 24 valve Cummins 5.9 and it's great but it is computer driven, I don't want that in my tactical survival vehicle. My next Jatonka 4x4 M35A4 is a DT engine with Allison, got the stuff, need the time. JT